Letting Go...New moon ceremonies have to do with creation, manifestation, birth, and rebirth. The full moon completes the cycle, representing death, change, or tying up loose ends. The full moon symbolizes the end chapter, shedding light on the things that we no longer need to hold on to.
Full Moon is an opportune time of the month for purging rituals to take place. The light the full moon offers illuminates those things that are interfering with our spiritual advancements. Once we have become enlightened to ways that are blocking us, the easier to let go. The full moon ritual is for releasing or purging the things in our lives that no longer serve us such as addictions to food, drugs, or sex, relinquishing suffering involved in hurtful relationships, discharging physical and emotional pains, etc. Several years ago on an episode of the television show "Party of Five" the character Charlie was throwing personal items that were connected to his cancer into a bonfire. His actions were in celebration of his cancer going into remission. He even tossed the shirt he was wearing into the fire because it was the shirt he wore when he was first diagnosed with cancer, or was it his pants? Anyway, this televised scene could have easily been portrayed as a full moon ceremony.
Full moon ceremonies I have participated in have been pretty simple, with perhaps a pinch or two of pagan tradition thrown in. Each person in the circle takes his turn throwing in scraps of paper into a fire that is then watched turn into ashes. The scraps of paper have words written down on them of those things we were releasing or vowing to change in our lives. Yes, a full moon ceremony can be as simple as that. Try it, it is very freeing and healing to declutter for your health.
Full Moon Purging Preparation
- Check a moon phase calendar for the next upcoming full moon.
- Create a sacred space and arrange a time to perform the ceremony (preferably at nighttime and outdoors under the moonlight).
- Write down on separate slips of paper the things you want to release or change.
Full Moon Purging
- Cleanse your sacred area with an opening prayer, a sage smudging, and/or by burning some incense. Invite your guides, angels, masters, or teachers to be at your side throughout the ceremony.
- Light one or more candles. Look to the skies. Breathe in the night air.
- One by one, read out loud the words you have written on each slip of paper. Set your intention to release the item/addiction/attitude from your life. Set it to fire and place it in the calderon. If you have a campsite barbecue or bonfire going that's cool, just toss the slips of paper into the fire one by one. If you are doing this ritual with a group of others take turns reading your words. If these things are too personal to read out loud, read them silently to yourself. Just remember... our words have power. Saying - "Be Gone" audibly and loudly can be very freeing. Go ahead, howl at the moon if you've a mind to. Have some fun!
- Thank the spirits. Be safe. Put out the fire.
Monthly Pagan Moon Rituals
- January / Wolf Moon - Plan a ritual of protection around your home and family.
- February / Storm Moon - Plan a ritual to ask the Old Ones for help in planning your future.
- March / Chaste Moon - Plan a ritual to plant your desires.
- April / Seed Moon - Plan a ritual to physically plant your seeds of desire in Mother Earth.
- May / Hare Moon - Plan a ritual to reaffirm your goals.
- June / Dyad Moon - Plan a ritual to balance your spiritual and physical desires.
- July / Mead Moon - Plan a ritual to decide what you will do once your goals have been met.
- August / Wort Moon - Plan a ritual to preserve what you already have.
- September / Barley Moon - Plan a ritual of Thanksgiving for all the Old.
- October / Blood Moon - Plan another ritual of Thanksgiving.
- November / Snow Moon - Plan for a ritual to work on ridding yourself of negative thoughts and vibrations.
- December / Oak Moon - Plan for a ritual to help you remain steadfast in your convictions.
image © image © bilbord99, Flickr Creative Commons