1. Religion & Spirituality
Phylameana lila Desy

Healing Vibrations of Cat Purrs

By July 24, 2013

Anyone who has held a purring cat in their lap understands the warmth and feeling of contentment that is conveyed by the sound and feel of the vibrational purr. Researchers are continually looking into the domestic cat as a healing tool for human stresses. Tabby's purring can help reduce his owner's stress or anxieties. Cat purring can ease discomforts such as stomach pain, and also help boost immune systems.

Veterinarians have long noted that broken bones heal quickly in cats. The vibrations associated with the feline purring is of interest to the holistic healing community. The measurable Hertz of a cat's purr lies between 25 and 150. 20 to 50 HZ have shown great promise in speeding bone injuries in human medicine. Research is currently being done to find out if purring actually accelerates the natural healing process of broken bones in humans. "Here kitty, kitty", says the woman with a broken ankle.

Even without the purring, companionship of a cat can bring emotional support to his human. Who is the caregiver here, cat or human? Beyond serving as companions our animals are also therapists.

If only I didn't have an allergy to cat dander.

Sources: Connie Barrett, Beyond The Rainbow, Franny Syuyfy, Why Cats Purr, and Marcella Durand, Cat Facts

cat image Đ photos.com

Comments
July 5, 2008 at 6:44 am
(1) Kudzu Fire says:

there’s is the pet dander and if your significant other doesn’t like pets…

blessing in any case

July 8, 2008 at 12:55 pm
(2) Blissful says:

I have 5 cats and several medical issues.
The cats give me great joy and laughter with their crazy antics.

If I catch a cold or have to lie down for any reason, there will be anywhere from 1 to 4 (one isn’t a lap cat and weighs 16 pounds, so that’s ok with me) cats on my body from my chin to my ankles. In the winter they’re the purrfect blanket on a cold day!
I know that having them keeps my spirits up and positive, and I know that in turn helps me heal more rapidly and recover more quickly, and, in general, just get through the day in a more positive frame of mind.
I highly recommend having a furry nurse (or few) around!

July 8, 2008 at 3:20 pm
(3) Stephanie says:

I had a major health issue back in ’99. After a month-long stay in the hospital, I came home to our fur babies. I had an open wound that had to heal from the inside out, so was in a recliner or bed for quite awhile. Never was I without my cats. And where the cats are, the purrs are. I don’t think I could have made it through it without them.

Also interesting, we had one cat who “kept up” with the time for bandage changes. We had to do them 4 times a day — and he alerted us to when it was time. He then “supervised” from his vantage point of the chest of drawers.

They are very smart and I think there is much more there than we’re aware…

July 8, 2008 at 8:35 pm
(4) Spudbuddie says:

Not only do I believe in the purring factor but when stroking them, I believe it reduces stress, which induces calm, which aids in recouperative healing. They’re like a big hairy Worry Stone! Oh yeah, and sometimes they drool. ;D

July 10, 2008 at 11:42 am
(5) Kathy says:

I very much agree that holding a cat and listenint to its purring is very relaxing and soothing. I foster kittens for our local humane society and I often pick them up, just to feel and hear their purring. The trust they have for us, never ceases to amaze me. I also own 4 cats, and again, there is no finer feeling than having one on your lap or on the couch beside you, petting him/her and hearing/feeling that purr. It is something I really enjoy and truly relaxes me.

July 11, 2008 at 12:56 pm
(6) Plum says:

Not only do cats help us, but we can help them in the same way. If your cat seems down or doesn’t feel well, just make a throaty prrrf sound a few times and see how they respond. I volunteer at a feline rescue shelter, and can tell you the cats appreciate you “speaking their language”.

Also, I had abdominal surgery a few years ago and was recovering with the help of a healing touch friend. Whenever I was on her table, her big cat would jump up and lay on me, purring. I was the only case where the cat did that, I think he knew he was helping. Cats rule!

July 18, 2008 at 9:54 am
(7) catblck says:

I can surely vouch for the recuperative powers of the cat – plagued as a young child with severe earaches and rampant sore throats, the pediatrician finally said – one more bout and the tonsils come out. Exaggerated in my mind, perhaps, is the pain and the anxiety of having felt those earaches and tonsilitis episodes coming on…when I was four, my mother gave me a cat for my birthday and soon after – on came the earache and tonsilitis – Doc said this is it -surgery. But that night the cat curled up on the pillow by my head on the sofa and I remember falling asleep to its purring. The following day the fever had broken and the sore throat/ear business faded (yes, I was on Johnson’s baby aspirin!). But except for a bout of strept after college, I have never had ear or throat problems since then. Interesting, my cat died when he was 13 (I was 17) from a cancerous tumor in his throat. Coincidence?

July 18, 2008 at 6:31 pm
(8) Adamant Cat Lover says:

My cat of 10 years recently died of liver cancer – and I know she took lots of “hits” for me since I have tons of things going on in my midsection. Anytime I cried or was really upset, she was ‘there’ out of the blue. Even after her diagnosis, one night I woke up from a really bad nightmare, and she just showed up, even though she had been staying in the basement. I am CONVINCED that cats shield us from some pretty aweful stuff.

March 13, 2009 at 9:38 am
(9) Daniel says:

Iīm really sad that I canīt have a cat of my own due to to much travel in my work.
I were recommended this recording of cat purring (catsleep.com) and itīs amazing and makes my fell less lonely and itīs really relaxing. I canīt think of anything more relaxing than cat purring.

October 13, 2009 at 9:58 pm
(10) Cliff says:

I have a cat that has chosen me to be her person.When I was recovering from a severe illness.I spent a lot of time in bed due to a weakened immune system.The cat would lay down next to me with what I swear to be a worried look on her face.She would put a paw on my arm and,touch her nose to my cheek as if to comfort and assure me that she was there for me and hope I would get better soon.

October 25, 2009 at 4:13 am
(11) michelle says:

i was never a cat person until a month ago. my daughters wanted one soooo bad, so finally gave in, letting them know they were fully their responsibility, they are 11 and 13, so ill take care of them financially, but they were the hands on caregivers! well overtime this cat has totally won me over. he is 4months old. and cute as all get out. but he was never very affectionate, didnt like to be held much, and i never heard him purr. until a week ago that is. for some reason all of a sudden, he is constantly jumping up in my lap, trying to get in my face, constantly sniffing in my face, mouth area especially, and purrs like crazy, sometimes very loud, while he is trying to get in my face. he is constantly gettin in my face, sniffing, and purring, and then just wants me to hold him. i dont get it. well i went to the doctor 2 days ago with a very sore throat, and i have to go to hospital and have a biopsy done on my throat, is it possible that this cat knows there is something wrong??

October 25, 2009 at 5:27 am
(12) Reva Wheeler says:

Absolutely Michelle–animals have an acute sense of smell and it is well documented that dogs for example have alerted their owners to various illnesses. Have you noticed that cats “check out” their toilet business each time before they cover it? This tells them what to eat or avoid if something isn’t normal. So I believe they have an innate sense of biological processes and can help us if we are in tune to them. I hope your biopsy is benign or if not, caught early enough for a full cure. Bless you!

March 13, 2010 at 11:03 pm
(13) Peter Foley says:

Happiness is being owned by a (5) cat(s)

March 21, 2010 at 11:03 pm
(14) Tammi says:

Cats also seem to be really connected to fertility energy. When I was pregnant, my cats wouldn’t leave me alone at night. At times, I woke pinned by the 2 of them, 1 on either side, as close as they could get to me. One of them thought my big belly was an extension for him to lay on, although I had to move him for comfort reasons. I had no problems with the pregnancy at all. Cats just wanted to be near me. They know much more than we think they do.

April 6, 2010 at 11:16 pm
(15) momsaid says:

Hamlet’s cat soliloquy comes to mind…
‘To go outside, and there perchance to stay
Or remain within: That is the question!’

My 14 1/2-yr-old Nutmeg still cuddles up and purrs for any who are sick or injured. It sure helps me take care of her, too.

January 13, 2011 at 9:34 pm
(16) Blame the Media says:

I get severe cramps once a month and during that time, and only during that time, my cat jumps in my lap and starts purring and kneading the afflicted area with her paws for about 5 minutes. I’m beginning to wonder if the cat knows something I don’t.

September 13, 2013 at 5:20 am
(17) Joy says:

I love the comments. Although I consider myself a dog person, I really love my cat too. I wonder if the cat vibration is like anything to do with Chakra healing? My story to share, a couple of years ago one of my dogs got very sick and died, our cat would get close to her and just stare at her, but not bug her or try to play with her. I guess you had to be there, but I will never forget the unusual way the cat behaved, especially when she starred at our dying angel.

October 2, 2013 at 3:50 pm
(18) Sheila Nathans says:

Whether cat’s purr has healing powers or not, one thing is certain from the research article at http://adidarwinian.com/the-glory-of-the-cat that cats have been the beloved and revered pets since time immemorial.

November 4, 2013 at 9:31 pm
(19) Viji says:

Great article. Cats Purr is an interesting phenomenon, it indicates some notable things in cat. Glad to know the healing power of cats purr. There is another article in the below website http://www.whydocatspurrsoloud.com/