1. Religion & Spirituality
Phylameana lila Desy

Holistic View of H1N1 Vaccinations

By October 24, 2009

h1n1 vaccination According to an editorial written in The Boston Globe, holistic-medicine enthusiasts as a group are not in favor of taking H1N1 vaccinations. But, I think it is unfair the way the writer is implying that all "holistic-medicine enthusiasts" share one opinion. Actually the editorial reads that we are supporting government-haters who are spouting misinformation about the swine flu vaccine.
SOME OF the same government-haters who spread myths about "death panels'' for the elderly are now spouting misinformation about the swine flu vaccine, and they're getting support from holistic-medicine enthusiasts, some autism activists, and talk show host Bill Maher. If all these scare tactics cause many Americans to pass up immunization, they will raise the death toll of the epidemic.
Whoa!!! First off, I personally don't like being put into a box or being labeled in any way. But I particularly do not like the way The Globe is lumping the holistic health community into a group of hysterical thinkers.

So, because I view medicine holistically I am against the H1N1 vaccination? Is that right? Gee, I'm glad somebody told me (and others) how I feel.

Truth be told, here's how I actually feel. I'm undecided about getting vaccinated. I fall in the "born after 1950" group so I am supposedly at some risk. Fortunately for me, I don't have to decide yet because the vaccine is not going to be available where I live for another month. But whether I get or don't get the controversial swine flu shot will have little or nothing to do with my politics. My decision will be based on what I believe will be the best for my whole being. I wouldn't gamble my physical health based on anything else.

I'm putting up this poll to find out just how like-minded my holistic readers are on this subject. How do you feel? Are you getting vaccinated?

Please answer the poll and share your views under comments.

Joe Raedle / Getty Images

Join Me on Facebook | Get My Twitter Updates

Comments
October 26, 2009 at 8:56 am
(1) Mary Rettig says:

Thanks for the article. I agree that holistic medicine is not always the best way to treat disease but it is mainly a preventable answer to our health care. As a reiki level two. I believe we should work at making holistic treatments professionally recognize.

October 27, 2009 at 11:12 am
(2) Kimberly says:

I always get the seasonal flu shot due to asthma. I’m undecided on the H1N1 only because of the media tends to blow things out of proportion. I’m taking a wait and see attitude. Yes, it’s in my area but it has been too bad yet.

October 27, 2009 at 1:51 pm
(3) Artemisa says:

Here’s a good link by the CDC about the H1N1 vaccine and the general flu shot: http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/vaccine_safety_qa.htm

October 27, 2009 at 2:08 pm
(4) Deborah says:

I have helped many people after the fact…after catching the flu, after catching a cold, after being diagnosed with pneumonia, etc., with homeopathics, herbs, supplements and body work. Holistic health care isn’t only preventative. I feel no need to get any kind of flu shot, I work in the healthcare industry, am 57 years and have used the above approaches for years. P.S. You can find statistics to back up any view you hold, but I tend to go with Dr. Mercola’s webpage info and my gut.

October 27, 2009 at 5:28 pm
(5) leah says:

i will not be taking the shot nor will the members of my family. i am not a government hater, nor am i a fear monger. i am a mother who has done EXTENSIVE research on this subject and have come to the conclusion that this vaccine would be detrimental to our health. furthermore, everyone who i have spoken with who has done any substantial looking into this matter has come to the same conclusion… but please do not take my word for it. look into it and understand exactly what it is you intend to introduce to your body and that of your family. you would research a car before purchasing, so why not a vaccine?

October 27, 2009 at 10:43 pm
(6) Janice says:

I choose not to take vaccines. I’m allergic to pharmaceuticals. That is why I practice other methods. Holistic medicine works better for me, and it works well for others. I consider it to be much more pleasant than needles and/or pills. And I find it to be much more environmentally friendly than conventional methods:-)

October 28, 2009 at 11:14 am
(7) Nici says:

I do not like to be plunked into categories either! The reasons I choose not to get the vacinnation reflect what many others have said: I choose not to take vaccines, am sensitive to pharmaceuticals & find holistic medicine & preventatives work better for me & my family.

November 6, 2009 at 10:01 pm
(8) Lynn says:

I work at a hospital that is requiring employees to get the regular flu shot (H1N1 is not required) or else wear a surgical mask for 12 hour shifts if we don’t get the flu shot. I am a secretary and do not perform regular patient care in rooms. Administration and health occupation have told me that even at my desk I am in the hallway where pts. can be, and so I am still “a risk”. I have no symptoms of sickness, I am fine. I am looking for another job, as this horrible mask wearing will last through March 31st. It is pure torture! I have cried to my mgr. (after only 2 days of wearing it) about how uncomfortable, smelly (they smell like mildew), hot, humiliating, etc etc they are; as most everyone else on my floor has gotten the shot to comply. Those of us who don’t get the shot are being made examples of with this crazy mask wearing. I’ve been told every hospital here in Austin (Texas) is doing this. I think someone telling me what to inject into my body is absolutely WRONG WRONG WRONG. It’s amazing how many people have been coerced into “drinking the Koolaid” with no regard for the health of their own bodies. What a shame.