A Name For This Sometimes Burden
- Yes, sometimes being an empath feels like a burden, but I understand it's a gift. I instantly feel people's sadness, discomfort, anger, hate and happiness, whether it's in real life or on tv. Sometimes I feel ridiculous, because I would rather turn the channel or get up and walk out the room rather than see someone embarrass themselves. I never noticed how much I felt for others, until the last five or six years. I am 47 now. Unfortunately, by the time I did notice it had become overwhelming and felt like such a heavy load to carry. What I realize now is that I wasn't yet in tune with myself. In the last two or three years I began to really learn and ask questions of myself. I still struggle with this over sensitivity, but by the grace of God I am also being given the ability to have a slight healthy disconnect from those sensitivities that I should not make my issue. I decided to take this gift and use structure to help others, by becoming a Spiritual Counselor and a friend to myself
Wow now I get why I'm like this
- People are drawn to me out of the blue someone come up to me and just start telling me all there worries and I carry those emotions all day and it takes me forever just to shake the sadness. Not to mention the negative people I come in contact with those are the toughest to get rid of. I get a feeling of negativity I want to run till I cant run anymore. I work in retail and unfortunately I can't run far when its customers who have bad energy and having co- workers that are like that to is much worse. How do I protect myself and release that negative energy and keep it from draining my energy? I start feeling negative to and at times I go home going I don't know why I suddenly feel so angry and negative, depressed even. I pray to God to block the negative and bring me positive energy but, can't avoid everyone and finding a new job is not an option right now.
- —Guest Sonja
- I have within minutes of writing this, discovered that maybe I am an empath. It explains so much of me and of my life. Recently a seemingly calm man asked an innocuous question and I immediately was afraid and angry. This has happened many times to me. I always tried to communicate with the person as if he knew what he was feeling and was always met with denial and evasion. Now, I know I should, as a first step, try to calm myself and know these are not my feelings; they are just being felt by me from the other. I am so grateful. Now I feel I might be better able to help others and myself.
- —Guest jimmy
I AM A EMPATH
- Ever since I was little I was able to feel others emotion and I have never under stand it. It is hard been in high school and all but I like helping people am still coming to turns been an empath.
- —Guest X
It all makes sense!
- When I was 6 years old I had a dream that my grandma told me that she had to leave and she would always look after me. I woke up crying cause I felt abandoned. I smelled her spearmint gum she always chewed. My parents were crying. I found out that she just died in her sleep. Ever since I've been a mess. I feel vibes from people that makes it hard for me to concentrate and feel as if my energy is being zapped from something that I can't explain. People tell me things that are so personal and I just met them. They confess that they have never told anyone. I need to learn to set boundaries to keep me from getting depressed. We can be victims to this trait or make the most out of it and learn to grow stronger realizing that we have a gift and it's not a curse. I would rather be sensitive and a caring person then closed off to an amazing yet overwhelming ability to sense the unspoken which seems there are no words to describe. Stay strong and stay away from people that take away your energy.
- —Guest serena
It began when I was nine years old
- This is for Alan & anyone who feels pain like I do. I am 36 & I always wanted to heal. Complete strangers tell me their trauma that they have never shared with anyone. I had no problem listening when it was all in love, in God. I become very depressed & cry sometimes because I have to sort through other people's feelings. The best times are when God heals people from afar thru me. The most difficult thing for me now is that the stronger I grow in Love, that is in God, the stronger healings become. So just hugging someone is a real issue & by talking on the phone I know their pain. It is a blessing & a curse. U must pray for all u pick up & find scripture quotes to fight the good fight on their behalf. I know becuase many times I was haunted by dark thoughts only to see them on t.v. days later when I was 11! I use to blame myself & feel I caused it. 25 years later I realized, I see their thoughts so I can pray their guardian angels & saints to intercede & remind them of Christ's love.
- I have always had such deep emotions and now all 3 of my kids do too. I guess I learned through cognitive behavior therapy how to block out unnecessary emotions, but never knew at that time I was an empath. I used to complain to my mom as a teenager that everyone was so cruel and never treated me the way I treated them. I feel people out, that's what I call it. I meet them and sort of in my mind pull back and analyze them without even deciding to. I end up reading where they are coming from and it seems like it is common sense to me, but apparently it is not to other people. I am currently on anti-depressants for overwhelming emotions for several years now. I prefer being alone or not bothered. It is just easier to not constantly fight the urge to feel responsible for others emotions and try to make them feel better. It has caused problems in all of my relationships cuz I can't let it go when they are disturbed. I nag them to talk about it, cuz I can't go on without feeling the same.
- —Guest Crystal Z.
- I have been an Empath / Clairsentient since I was a child am 27 now I have always known that I was different. I just didn’t know what it was or where it came from, all my family and friends tell me that am just too sensitive. I really hate it sometimes because I feel so lonely, I can talk to anyone about this they just don’t understand or just think am crazy. I still think am crazy myself sometimes. I can’t be around people; I always have to go to the stores very early in the morning or very late at night. I can go to parties where everyone is happy or a club where there is music. I love music it takes me away for a while and gets read of the bad energies. I have isolated myself from family and friends because I can’t take the fact they always come to me with their problems and not just friends or family but strangers too, and is very physically and mentally painful is like a whole in the middle of your chest that you can’t seem to fill no matter what you do.
- —Guest Monica
I am happy I found this site
- I am an empath. I felt so sick for days after the Japan earthquake/tsunami. I was not there, but it seems my feelings were as intense and real as theirs. Does this make me an empath? I love being alone after hours of being with people. I like being with people but I feel more at peace when I am alone in nature. I still don't know how to turn this into something more positive. ( Note from Guide: Please post in the Support Group for Empaths section in the Healing Forums if you have questions or wish to interact with other empaths - http://bit.ly/gn4p6h )
- —Guest Larissa
- I Just learned that I am an Empath. I knew I was very different from most people.I thought I was going crazy. I did not understand why I cry so much. Even with complete strangers and my family members as well. I have so many gifts that I thought were curses. I am just now learning about Empaths. I am in my 50s. I cant even begin to tell you my story, but I will tell you that I have suffered a lifetime because I never understood why I was able to pick up vibes from people so far away. I have tried to stay away from people, because I would just start crying for no reason known to me when around other people.I would get embarrassed every time that would happen to me. I don't know why I was born this way, but I have lived a lifetime grieving for the worlds sorrows. I have spent a lifetime in tears. I never could understand why this was happening to me. I just learned this week what a Empath is. Now I know I'm not crazy. IT is a very liberating feeling that my dis-ease has a name. I am grateful.
- —Guest Esther
I am an empath
- I have been an empath my whole life and through middle school and high school I attracted the broken and made it my mission to help. I am 28 now and just today put a name to my ability to read emotions. My mom and dad are also empaths so I thought everyone could do this. My lows make me physically ill because I pick up everyone's pain but my highs are magical especially in nature. I would not trade it for the world.
- —Guest mae
I am deeply affect by others
- I feel so relieved to have found this site. I am deeply affected by other people and am told I am too sensitive, too shy, and not bold enough. I was told that I needed antidepressant. I felt that my body rejected the meds and I never wanted them. I finally know that there is nothing wrong with me and that I need to learn to cope with overstimulation and stress. I feel so much better now.
- —Guest Nette
It can be tamed!
- I have been with this from a child. I however, was lucky enough to be raised on a reservation. My people have names for these "gifts." There are "givers" and "takers." Both are empathic but a person can only use one way to deal, learn, and train to use their gift. When you find out which one you are, you can better cope or even turn your back on being an empath all together. It is all a matter of control and balance. Right now, I use control and balance to block out the gift to try and live a more normal life. But I do know that one day I will choose to open back up and use my gifts to help others. YOU ALL ARE NOT ALONE! Just give yourself time and respect your own limits. Life can be better than you imagine. I am currently an emotional adviser and use my gift to help others like me find their peace... And their place. Learn to love being an empath and cherish how unique you are in a world of technology and media. It does get better. Good luck!
- —Guest Angie oooh
Embrace your ability
- Of course being an empath has its challenges but its also a gift, we are given this ability so we can help people and animals. One of the most important things is to learn how to understand your emotions from others, all you need to do is ask yourself, is this mine or someone else's? Trust your intuition. If its not yours, visualize love and pink light surrounding you. One of the biggest challenges I face is back pain, mainly in my neck and shoulders, its where I store everything I pick up from being empathic. Meditation and yoga are excellent ways to release it. Embrace your ability and use it to serve your planet. Love and Light my fellow light workers.
- —Guest Melissa Graham
- Being what u guys call an empathy is really hard. all of u r around ur 50's but I'm 12 I don't know when any one will read this but I went suicidal at the age of 10. I'm not any more but feeling others' emotions is painful even when they're good. I feel like I'm being forced to laugh when others r , I sometimes have to leave the room because of someone else crying or someone else being angry. I came to help many people I know that but right now I need help. Please if anyone reads this have Empathy for someone who has it. For all, may Christ be with you.
- —Guest Alan