Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- One tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- One-half cup diced yellow onion
- One sixteen ounce can of kidney or black beans (drained and rinsed)
- One and a half pounds ground sirloin (lean beef)
- One-half green pepper (chopped)
- 46 fluid ounce bottle of tomato juice (or V8 juice)
- Three teaspoons chili powder (for personal tast preference use more or less )
- One teaspoon ground cumin
- Dashes of Tabasco Sauce or chopped jalepeno (optional)
- One medium-sized diced tomato (optional)
- Cilantro (optional)
Lightly saute onions and green pepper in olive oil.
Combine ground sirlion and sauted onions/green-peppers mixture.
Stir in chili powder and cumin. Add beans and tomato juice.
If you like a spicier chili add the Tabasco and/or chopped jalapeno pepper.
Give everything a final stir and set the covered pot to simmer for at least one hour.
For a fresh taste and presentation top each serving bowl of chili with some freshly cubed pieces of tomato and fresh cilantro sprigs.
To make this a true low-carb meal, don't crumble saltines into your chili. But you can certainly offer them to guests who are not watching their carb intake.
Servings for six.