Random Acts of KindnessSeveral years ago it became a trend to perform Random Acts of Kindness. I found the concept of this movement to be quite inspiring and remarkable. I especially liked the shifting focus of the world at large moving away from self-absorption to one of caring for others, perhaps a stranger. Oddly enough (or not oddly at all - depending on what your perception of universal law is) it became apparent to many individuals that by choosing to shift their energies toward a more altruistic mind set that their own troubles seemed to melt away. People discovered that our planet seemed more like an expanded playground when they played a part in pleasing others in small ways. It was much better not to be living in a rushing-by world in which they felt trapped in or victimized by.
It feels good to do something nice for someone. Likewise, it feels good when someone does something kind for us. It's a win win situation either way you look at it. I'm sure you can think of one if not many small gestures to make. I will suggest a few here to get you started thinking about it. Opportunities like these arise everyday.
Small Gesture Suggestions
- Donate a Pint of Blood
- Visit a shut-in
- Read a story to a child
- Phone a friend (don't complain - keep the conversation upbeat)
- Volunteer to help weed the public park flower garden
- Offer your mail carrier a refreshing drink
- Buy an extra cup of coffee at the coffee shop and give it away to someone
- Skip a meal - Give your sack lunch to a homeless person
- Offer to paint your sister's toenails
- Shovel your neighbor's snow covered walkway
- Offer a prayer to someone in need