Sweetgrass Hierochloe odorata
gets its name from its sweet-aromic fragrance. Burned as an incense, sweetgrass is valued for its vanilla-like scent. Clippings of sweetgrass is commonly braided and and then dried prior to burning. When burned for healing or ritual purposes the smoke from the braided sweetgrass is intended to attract good spirits and positive energies. It is used as a smudging tool
to purify peoples auras, cleanse objects, and clear ceremonial areas or healing spaces
. Sweetgrass can also be carried or worn as a protective amulet
. It is also sought for basket weaving.
Other names for sweetgrass are:
- Seneca Grass
- Vanilla Grass
- Holy Grass
- Buffalo Grass
Ritual Uses of Sweetgrass:
- Burned as a special offering during sacred prayers.
- Burned for personal and home blessings.
- Burned or smudged for purification purposes.
- Incorporated into sweat lodge ceremonies.
- Carried as a protective totem.
- Kept in the home to attract positive energies.
- More ways to use sweetgrass
Also Read About Smudging
sweetgrass photo © Phylameana lila Desy