- Birth Date: June 11, 1960
- Birth Place: Cleveland, OH
- Birth Name: Mehmet Cengiz Oz
- Birth Parents: Mustafa and Suna Oz
Education / Work:
- Cardiovascular Surgeon
- Professor and vice chairman of Surgery at Columbia University
- Director of the Cardiovascular Institute and the Complementary Medicine Program at New York Presbyterian Hospital
- Director of the Heart Assistance Device Program
- Graduate of Harvard University
- Degrees: MD and MBA, from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and Wharton Business School
- Writer for O Magazine, Esquire, and Reader's Digest
Television and Radio:
- "The Dr. Oz Show" premiers on September 14, 2009 on the FOX Channel.
- Regular guest/health-expert on the Oprah Winfrey Show and contributor to Oprah and Friends Satellite Radio Show
- Second Opinion With Doctor Oz, Discovery Health channel series (2003-04 season).
Series of books by Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Michael Roizen, with Lisa Oz and other contributors:
- YOU: The Owner's Manual: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger
- YOU: The Smart Patient: An Insider's Handbook for Getting the
- YOU: On A Diet: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management
- YOU: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty
- Healing from the Heart: A Leading Surgeon Combines Eastern and Western Traditions to Create the Medicine of the Future (by Mehmet Oz and Dean Ornish)
- Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss (by Joel Fuhrman and Mehmet Oz)
- Turkish-American Descent
- Wife: Lisa (Reiki Master)
- Four Children: Daphne, Arabella, Zoe, and Oliver
Dr. Oz and Energy Medicine:
Reportedly, Dr. Oz on the Oprah Winfrey show says "We're beginning now to understand things that we know in our hearts are true but we could never measure. As we get better at understanding how little we know about the body, we begin to realize that the next big frontier in medicine is energy medicine. It's not the mechanistic part of the joints moving. It's not the chemistry of our body. It's understanding for the first time how energy influences how we feel."
Dr. Oz was also one of the first doctors to allow the the use of Reiki during open heart surgeries and heart transplant operations. His wife, Lisa, is a Reiki Master.