Foods in the Ayurvedic diet are classified under six different tastes. It is recommended that each of these "tastes" be included in our daily diets for balance and overall healthfulness.
- Astringent (air and earth), balances salt intake.
- Bitter (air and space) purifies the body, good for skin tone.
- Pungent (fire and air) clears sinuses, improves circulation, offers mental clarity.
- Salty (water and fire) aids digestion, maintains electrolytes.
- Sour (earth and fire) nourishes, energizes, and good for digestion.
- Sweet (earth and water) strengthens, nourishes, promotes longevity.