Essential oils are the oils derived from plants that are used in aromatherapy. Applying essential oil compresses is an effective way of relieving pain and reducing inflammation.
Time Required: 5 minutes
- In preparing for a hot compress, fill a bowl with very hot water.
- Add 4 to 5 drops of essential oil.
- Dip a folded piece of sterile cotton cloth into the prepared water.
- Squeeze out excess water.
- Place the moistened cloth onto the affected area until it reaches body temperature.
- Repeat steps 3 through 5 two to three times.
- In preparing for a cold compress, replace hot water with ice cold water and follow with steps 2 through 6.
- Hot compresses are helpful for backaches, rheumatism, arthritis, abscesses, earache, and toothache.
- Cold compresses are helpful for headaches, neck tension, sprains, and strains.