1. Religion & Spirituality
Phylameana lila Desy

Just Breathe.

By September 27, 2013

take a breath

Breathe Already! - I decided on breathwork and the importance of breathing as our healing topic today because this is something that I can relate to in a major way.

I confess to being an unconscious breath-holder and am writing this specifically for all breath-holders. Are you also member of the Breathholders Anonymous Club? Share your breathing tips.

I need to become more vigilant in conscious breathing. Whenever I am learning something new or working on a project that requires concentration, my breathing locks up. This is the worst thing that can happen when I'm trying to employ my brain, because holding my breath deprives the brain of oxygen. It can feel like a learning disability - really! So hard to learn stuff when the brain isn't allowed to function optimally.

Reminding myself to breathe consciously is a recurring lesson in my life. It's a bad habit of mine to withhold my breath when concentrating. I'm really good at conscious breathing when I'm doing my meditation... but that is only 20 minutes once or twice a day. I need to do better.

I have even caught myself holding my breath when watching television. It depends on the show. While watching cartoons I will laugh and breathe freely. While watching more intense dramas or suspense shows I will catch myself holding my breath (sometimes clinching my fists too!). I wouldn't be surprised if I almost turn blue before realizing I'm blocking my air passages. Whenever I catch myself holding or taking shallow breaths I will consciously take a deliberate deep cleansing breath.

In an attempt to nurture better breathing habits while writing this blog I am choosing to take a deep breath each time I type a period at the end of a sentence. Think I'll call this practice Punctuation Breathing! In fact, I challenge all shallow breathers to begin taking a cleansing breath at every punctuation mark whenever you are writing or reading. (breathe now) Feel better? (take another breath)

image chintermeyer, Flickr Creative Commons

~ Healing Lesson of the Day: Five Balancing Ayurvedic Herbs ~
~ Affirmation of the Day ~

Focus Friday - This post is part of a once-weekly blog feature focusing on a singular healing topic. If you would like to get notifications delivered to your inbox each Friday alerting you to the Focus Friday topic please subscribe to my newsletter. In addition to the Friday delivery subscribers also receive my standard newsletter sent on Tuesday mornings. The Tuesday edition highlights new articles, newest blog posts, and includes links to a variety of healing topics.
Comments
December 7, 2012 at 8:03 pm
(1) Erin says:

Good article- I suffer from chronic pain and anxiety. I also have a panic attack problem called Hyperventilation Syndrome. I’m a shallow breather, and just today my psychologist told me to “breathe from my stomach to lift up my diaphragm. He says one gets more O2 that way. I am really going to have to do this. I tend to hold my breath when I am in pain, too.

December 9, 2012 at 1:12 am
(2) Phylameana says:

Thank you Erin. Sorry for your panic attacks, sounds like good advice from your psychologist. I can relate to holding your breath when in pain. I hold my breath when I’m cold… it is a reflex. So silly that I I do this… holding my breath isn’t going to make me feel warmer.

June 7, 2013 at 12:44 pm
(3) Christine Houser says:

Great article Erin. I always find myself not breathing correctly and holding my breath. Whenever I catch myself doing this, I make sure to do breathing exercises.

September 27, 2013 at 1:28 pm
(4) Darlene trevillian says:

Thank you for the reminder breathe.
I really appreciate the contact. It is a wonderful support.
I am in physical therapy currently.
While I have support and am very thankful, I miss the contact
And interaction of holistic belief.

September 27, 2013 at 4:46 pm
(5) Pauline McNab says:

I have been doing breathwork (REBIRTHING) for 36 years now and in my experience holding your breath is a means of suppression Conscious prolonged breathing(at least for an hour) never ceases to amaze me with it’s miracles It purifies the body on a cellular level as well as clearing out all unconscious trauma that has been trapped in our cells as far back as time in our mothers womb and our births that can leave painful scares on the outcome of our lives that we are living NOW

September 28, 2013 at 1:36 pm
(6) Carl Markham says:

Also try alternative nostril breathing (Pranayama) to steady nerves and aid concentration. (I usually do a few rounds before meditation to help me to ‘focus’). Datails are in most Yoga books (or ask your teacher if in a group/class) Basically you place the first two fingers of your left hand on your Forehead (Third Eye spot, , so do it gently!) then place your thumb on your left nostril and GENTLY breathe in through your right nostril for a (mental) count of five. HOLD for a count of three then place your fourth finger on your right nostril and GENTLY breathe out through your left nostril. Hold your breath for a count of three then repeat the process – this time breathing in through your left nostril and out through your right. Got it? (It does take a bit of practice, but it soon comes ‘naturally’). Obviously, as you develop you can prolong the time you hold your breath in and the time you wait after you’ve breathed out.
It is excellent for oxygenating the lungs, and can improve the pulmonary circlulation of the blood tremendously. I’d suggest you begin with just three ’rounds’ and then work up gradually. (and of course stop if you begin to feel dizzy or ‘whoosy’ – which is caused by your lungs not being used to so much lovely oxygen!) Just cut down your count of holding in the breath next time and you’ll be o.k.!

September 28, 2013 at 4:28 pm
(7) Rev Frederick says:

Throughout the day i stop for a minute or more to take 3 purposeful breath.one for body,mind and spirit…I breath in LOVE and exhale Gratitude..Even these brief pauses with help balance you on all levels..
thanks for the share..fhj

September 29, 2013 at 3:50 pm
(8) william winn says:

thank you for reminding me to breathe.I really did notice a difference after trying the yoga technique of holding your rt. nostril and breathing thru your left w/ fingers on your forehead.Should I then alternate? also my 53 yr. old brother was just diagnosed w/ intestinal cancer that may have spread to his liver.(I cry as I write this) ,His second visit is tomorrow@MASS GENERAL-BOS I will scour the universe and beg the GODS for a miracle cure ANY SUGGESTIONS UNIVERSE. I WELCOME ANY AND ALL WISDOM , thank-you for listening,WILLIAM

September 30, 2013 at 11:32 am
(9) Carl Markham says:

Yes, Wiiam – as with all Yoga technig ues , one should continue and ‘do’ the other side – in order to retain the ‘balance’ni.e you’re only ‘halfway there’ if you’ve only ‘done’ one nostril. When both are ‘done’ that is known as a complete ’round’. How many ’rounds’ one does is of course up to you, but again as in all Yoga Asanas, one should build up slowly- both with the length of the breath held in, and after exhaling (as already explained), and gradually increasing the ’rounds’. In my experience, most Yoga teachers advocate three complete ’rounds’ (but please don’t forget that warning to STOP if you’re getting ‘whoozy’/dizzy at ANY stage (it won’t really matter if your ’round’ is incomplete – your general wellbeing is far more important!) Good luck