1. Religion & Spirituality
Phylameana lila Desy

Pregnancy and Giving Birth Dreams

By March 26, 2013

One morning I awoke from a wonderful dream in which I was pregnant and was awaiting the birth of a new daughter. In the dream I even had my baby's name picked out and had opened up and contributed to a college fund for her. I briefly felt some sadness as I shifted from sleep into wakefulness as I consciously became aware that the new daughter I was looking forward to giving birth to was merely symbolic.

pregnancy dreamsI was WAY past the age of being able to become pregnant. Nor did I desire it. Still, having a pregnancy dream is one of my all time favorite dream themes. I am the mother of 3 grown children and whenever I dream of being pregnant or having a baby I get the rare opportunity to relive that miraculous feeling of being pregnant again and anticipating a new life. It is the very best feeling!

Because of the dream and from what I know a pregnancy dream can mean I anticipated a new feminine energy to blossom (pregnant with a daughter) within my being. Because of the "college fund" aspect of the dream I speculated that I would be investing in something educational. Hmm.... our dreams make us wonder.

Please share your pregnancy dreams or other dream themes. I'm very curious if men experience pregnancy dreams? Hey fellows, what do you say? Yes or No? Please comment.

Pregnancy Dreams and What They Mean

Interpreting the meaning of dreams is an art. There is no right or wrong way to interpret the meaning of our dreams. Dreaming of being pregnant could be prophetic, but these types of dreams typically mean you are growing spiritually, OR something creative is incubating within your being. Having a baby in your dream can represent rebirth or something new is entering your life. Because you are the one pregnant in the dream or the person birthing the new life, you will be the creator or the originator of a new idea.

Here are a few ideas: Dreaming about...

• Conceiving a Child could mean... Seeding a new idea, Being open to start afresh, Setting new goals
  • Being Pregnant could mean... Growing or incubating a new idea, Anticipation of a change or new beginning
  • Giving Birth to a Baby could mean... Birthing a new idea, Undertaking a new direction, Entering a new life stage
  • Experiencing Labor Pains could mean... Growing pains, Painful life lessons
  • Experiencing False Labor could mean... Misunderstandings, Wrong timing
  • Having a Miscarriage could mean... Unfulfilled hope or wishes, Missed opportunities
  • Aborting a Pregnancy could mean... Squelching an idea, Giving up on your dreams
What types of pregnancy/birthing dreams have you had?

Vote now: You can select more than one answer

Healing Poll Center

Common Dream Themes

Andersen Ross / Getty Images

~ Healing Lesson of the Day ~
~ Affirmation of the Day ~
Comments
April 11, 2010 at 9:16 pm
(1) Yve says:

my sister told me that she had a dream about me being pregnant. What would that mean if someone else has the dream about you?

February 14, 2011 at 7:13 am
(2) sam c. says:

ye, im a guy and i dreamed i was pregnant and actually gave birth. i felt so great of having a child, but then on in the dream my child was kidnapped or something and i felt so sad. woke up and had a feeling of anguish.

June 30, 2011 at 6:27 pm
(3) Sneaps says:

I dreamed that I birthed someone’s babies – twins or triplets (can’t really remember which). And she talked me a bit through the process of delivering her. lol, so weird. Sadly, I think something happened to the first baby that came out something about taking in too much fluid… It’s all fuzzy though.

January 5, 2012 at 5:51 pm
(4) alana says:

I had a drean that i was pregnant in a ward full of other pregnant women and we were all waiting to give birth in a water pool. The doctor told me it was my turn and i told him i couldnt do it and tried to call my partner but couldnt get through so started to cry. As i walked back i to the ward a girl had just given birth and there was blood everywhere and her baby wasnt breathing.

I have a great fear of giving birth and wondered if this was related in anyway?

February 11, 2012 at 8:17 am
(5) jan says:

I’ve had a couple dreams about giving birth to triplets lately. Idk why and its always two boys and a girl.

May 8, 2012 at 7:35 am
(6) Tno says:

I have been dreaming lately that I am pregnant and I go into labor, however I never actually progress throught the labor process. I just keep having labor pains but with no reward. I dont know exactly what these dreams mean but it is reccuring. I do know that I really want a 3rd child and my husband is totally against it, so possibly this is what my dreams are coming from.

August 16, 2012 at 1:35 pm
(7) Buffy says:

I had a dream that I had four babies at once, 2 boys and 2 girls. I saw myself at the dr.’s office and at the hospital. I saw myself and the babies but never saw who I was in a relationship with. I would really like to know what this dream means. Ive had dreams of having babies before but never 4 at one time.

October 9, 2012 at 9:20 am
(8) Kelly says:

I had a dream about being pregnant and giving birth to a beautiful little girl. It was the most amazing feeling to have a child. I’m married and we’re still a couple years away from having children, but I think about it often, even though we rarely discuss it. What was unique was that I expected to have labor pains, but I had none. Part of this makes me think this has no significance, but it also makes me very excited for the possibility of an easy labor.

October 27, 2012 at 6:01 pm
(9) Kat says:

I dreamed that I said, “My water just broke, and could feel it running down my leg and then, I tried not to bear down, but I felt the urge, and then all of a sudden my body took over and I couldn’t stop that bear down feeling and all of a sudden looked down and there was a baby, I saw it, but don’t remember if it was a girl or boy, I woke up.

November 20, 2012 at 12:39 pm
(10) Daniel says:

I’m a guy and dreamt that I was pregnant and having contractions. I was in the labor room and I was pushing but the baby was not coming out and all of a sudden I didn’t feel the pain anymore and in my dream I thought my baby died inside me.

January 3, 2013 at 8:39 am
(11) Sarah says:

I have been having dreams where I am pregnant almost every night this week. However, last week I dreamt my best friend and her husband were having a baby, and I was helping them get ready. Everyone was excited, including them.They had a little boy, but when it came rime to leave the hospital they vanished from the dream leaving me with their baby.

February 11, 2013 at 3:03 am
(12) ge says:

I have recently although i am not the slightest bit or even possibly pregnant but i dreamn’t i was and my mom tried to make me get rid of the baby at first i agreed but i then refused i was scared but wanted to keep the baby. My parents were both unhappy of the idea and so was the family but i found it was a girl and they all began to get to grips with the idea. I got a little bump in the dream and began to buy clothes with my best friend i had refused to tell the father as he was going off to live his dream and i did not want anything to get in the way of that, when he left however i told his mom who i was close with at the time she was delighted to havw a grand daughter but annoyed i had not told her son, i then woke from my bizarre dream with my belly feeling bloated i have never experienced such a dream in my life. What are your thoughts on the meaning of this?

April 22, 2013 at 4:35 pm
(13) Nicole says:

I had a dream that I was pregnant and gave birth to triplets and I remember feeling the happiest I’ve every been. The dream took me to the saddest place when someone came and took my 3 babies without me knowing and when I found the babies all of them were dead with plastic bags on their newborn baby heads. When I woke from the dream I was still crying. WHAT DID THAT DREAM MEAN?

July 1, 2013 at 12:22 pm
(14) Mary says:

I dreamnt the first time that my recent ex was holding another females baby. & I’ve been getting these feelings like if someone’s holding me i want them to rub my stomach and this morning it felt like there was a baby laying on me and i was holding him but when i opened my eyes there was nothing. Im not sure if I’m pregnant or its just a rebirth taking place

July 14, 2013 at 8:10 pm
(15) Nan says:

i’m actually looking for a child, I had a dream that I was pregnant and me and my had the same dream again, the same night. what does that mean? I really want to have a child.

August 27, 2013 at 7:05 am
(16) Jane says:

What does it mmean to dream your pregnant having labor pains go to the bathroom to go number two and start pushing baby out with absolutely no pain and deliver it yourself.

September 20, 2013 at 5:39 pm
(17) mary says:

It has been several times that I dream about being pregnant, have a little girl and even have the name picked out. But in reality I unfortunately can’t have anymore children, due to a tubal. What could this mean?

November 24, 2013 at 10:12 am
(18) dreamer says:

i had a dream that i took a pregnancy test…and it said i was pregnant …i was telling everyone…i am pregnant…what does this mean??:0

December 15, 2013 at 1:09 pm
(19) Ben says:

I’m a man, I’m 22 and I just recently had a dream I was pregnant. I ‘woke up’ in my dream, with this baby in my abdomen, but it constantly felt like it was simply going to fall out. I was afraid to lay down or sleep, primarily because I was freaked out about having a baby in there in the first place, let alone accidentally killing it and having a dead baby in there.
I don’t recall giving birth, however I know I did. The baby was initially born still, it took about a minute I feel before the baby cried. The umbilical was even connect and still attached to me, though I’m somewhat unsure how. I remember feeling extremely unsettled that this thing was still attached and wanted immediately to detach it. I was afraid of hurting myself by just pulling on it, but I did anyway and it detached.
I awoke in real life to feeling much anxiety and rather uncomfortable in general. This was a new dream for me, I’ve never had a pregnancy dream before this one, and I rather hope I never do again. It really felt much more of a nightmare than anything else, mainly due to the shear amount of anxiety I felt during the dream, not about the safety of the baby but about the concept of being pregnant.

January 12, 2014 at 8:47 pm
(20) sami says:

I have pregnancy dreams a lot but last night my dream started off with me thinking i was pregnant because i had a baby bump but all pregnancy tests came back negative, a bit later on in the dream i realised that i WAS pregnant because i was looking in the mirror and i could see my babies foot pressing against my stomach from the inside, i was standing there touching feeling the babies foot feeling elated and then i went round all my family and friends telling them the news :) it was a lovely dream but it was one of those dreams that make you feel grief when you wake up because it seemed so real! it has stuck with me all day.

January 13, 2014 at 6:21 am
(21) tavthe says:

Dreaming that the birth is successful and partner is holding the baby to let me rest.

January 28, 2014 at 7:30 am
(22) Abbie says:

I am a single girl and I had a dream that I was pregnant. I looked down and my stomach was huge. I wrapped my hands around the sides of my stomach and I was surprised and pleased. Then, I was back in classes at school. I was in gym class running laps with my big belly. Later, I sat outside by a stream and called the love of my life, (that is now happily married in real life) and talked to him about my pregnancy. I came home and there was a rat on the counter and it had given birth to one offspring. Then, I looked down and saw a huge white fluffy dog enter the room. At the very same moment, my water broke and then entire red linoleum floor was covered in water. I just stood in the puddle and then woke up.

Very random… I’ve read a few different sites and it could be/mean a lot of things…

March 4, 2014 at 9:13 am
(23) Katherine Kemp says:

I keep dreaming that there is a baby crying in my tummy

April 11, 2014 at 6:31 pm
(24) Pamela Lunsford says:

LOL!!! Thank you for the laugh,Great Dream stories..

April 11, 2014 at 6:40 pm
(25) Pamela Lunsford says:

When I was Pregnant with my 3 baby, I had a dream where I was in the Hospital and my OB doctor came in to see me in his golfing clothes and told me I had Gonorrhea but in real life I had Toxemia, I just didn’t understand the golf clothes…

April 11, 2014 at 8:16 pm
(26) fe says:

i have 9 wks left an last night i had a dream that i had her i remember seeing her face an thinkin she was a long baby an the most beautiful thing i had ever seen but i didnt remember giving birth an i kept tellin my mom i dont remember having her an was kinda freaked out but kept holding on to her tight an when i woke up was still freaked out had to get up an talk to my sister about it dont know if it means ne thing but sure did mess wit me

April 16, 2014 at 2:13 pm
(27) Jeannine says:

I dreamt last night I gave birth to triplets and it was the easiest delivery imaginable. It took about 15 minutes.