1. Religion & Spirituality
Phylameana lila Desy

A Blast from the Past

By November 16, 2012

windows to the soul Friday, November 16, 2012 - Soul Recognition - There are people in our lives who we have had past life associations with. We may have karmic issues to work out with family members, co-workers, etc. Whereas, teacher/student relationships are likely born of soul agreements. I believe every teacher also learns from his student. It is a two-way street. We learn from others no matter what the role. Parents learn from their children too!

The people we live with, our business partners, school mates, close friendships... these relationships smack of coming together again... a strong desire to hang out with one another again and again.

When you are aligned with your instinctual nature you may experience moments of recognition whenever you come in contact with other kindred spirits. These are people who we have known in a past life but don't have any compelling reason to meet up and spend time together this time around. Regardless, you might bump into them now and again. Whenever that happens to me I usually get a giddy feeling inside... a totally pleasant sensation. A Blast from the Past, you might say.

Soul recognition will be obvious to you when it happens. You will not recognize the person, not the personality, but the soul within. I had the silliest grin on my face on my way home from the grocery store on Tuesday. While shopping I realized that there was a young man in the store who I knew! He knew me too! I could tell because he recognized me first. I caught him looking at me first. Afterwards we would sneak peeks at each other as we crossed paths many times, one aisle after aisle. Once I did smile at him shyly and he gave me an ever-so-slight nod. He was a bit confused I think, not quite figuring out why he was drawn to me--a woman who was old enough to be his mother! Perhaps I was his mother or his nanny in a past life. But, more likely he was just my neighbor, barber or butcher back when. I simply felt good vibes between us.... but not enough of a pull to speak up and try to reconnect.

Yesterday while having lunch with a friend (a past life connection of mine!) I told her about my experience. She was curious why I didn't just speak with him. Partly, I will confess I didn't speak to him because I didn't want to sound like a kook... "Hey, I know you! You're not a stranger to me." If the two of us were the only people in the store I might have said something, but it was pretty congested with other shoppers milling about. However, I trust that if it is important enough the universe will give another opportunity to meet him. Meanwhile I don't feel sad or something is missing from my life if I never see him again.

And, in case you are wondering, I'm not talking about ordinary people watching me or looking me over. Not everyone who makes eye contact with you are Blasts from the Past--- such as the store detective who is suspiciously following customers around trying to catch shoplifters, or a man being appreciative of an attractive woman. I notice those people too. Sensing or recognizing a kindred spirit is entirely different. If you are still uncertain, look into their eyes-- the eyes don't lie. They truly are windows into the soul.

Windows to the Soul © BLW Photography, Flickr Creative Commons

Focus Friday - This post is part of a once-weekly blog feature focusing on a singular healing topic. If you would like to get notifications delivered to your inbox each Friday alerting you to the Focus Friday topic please subscribe to my newsletter. In addition to the Friday delivery subscribers also receive my standard newsletter sent on Tuesday mornings. The Tuesday edition highlights new articles, newest blog posts, and includes links to a variety of healing topics.
Comments
November 16, 2012 at 2:05 pm
(1) blissful says:

My husband and I know that we were meant to meet up again in this lifetime.
Our paths had crossed a couple of times in a big city in CA, before I got a job where he worked…(and I had been mysteriously obsessed to get a job there!)
On my first day, we were being introduced, and when we shook hands it was like an electrical shock to my solar plexus. It took him a little longer to recognize me though. I finally invited him to a full moon meditation for a first date, and we’ve been inseparable since then.
We took a trip for a long weekend, and as we drove into town we both had tears in our eyes and simultaneously said “we’re home”. We moved here 6 weeks later with nothing but a hope and a prayer. That was about 20 years ago and we’ve been together in Sedona sharing a blissful life for almost 25 years.
It proved to us both how important it is to listen to our intuition and let it guide us.
We know we’ve been together in many past lifetimes and were led to each other to enjoy a blissful life together in a place where we know we had lived together before.
It was meant to be.

November 16, 2012 at 3:25 pm
(2) BleuEdee says:

Hello! I met someone who I had an instant connection to. I was visiting a small town in Wyoming where I had gone to high school. She had moved there after I had graduated. We started talking to each other and spent the rest of our time together trying to figure out where we had met. We figured we must have worked together or something similar that gave us time to be friends. But times I was gone, times she visited the town, or other places we might have been in at the same time never coincide. It was like we were sisters or cousins. We kind of tuned out everything around the two of us and talked. It made me feel like she was someone I was really close to and hadn’t seen in a while. It was a puzzling and weird thing to experience, but we seemed to be enjoying to completely out of the ordinary thing that it was. For me, it was like when you met someone and something “clicks”, but this was multiple “clicks” and they felt like past, present, “other lives” connections. I thought it was pretty cool. It’s been 30 years and I still think about it.

November 16, 2012 at 6:31 pm
(3) Regina says:

Recently, I’ve been wondering where a new friend of mine places in my life. It feels as though I know some part of him but I can’t figure it out here and now. I felt a zap from the first moment that I saw him, the zap felt like I had met him before. To be more specific it’s like a recognition. Anyway, I was thinking that maybe we’re kindred spirits, and now reading your article, I know that that’s in fact what it is. What I don’t know as of now, is if our friendship is meant to be. We’ll see about that, but no matter what, the feeling is really special.

November 16, 2012 at 6:52 pm
(4) Sherry says:

All my life; ast least since I was old enough to do it, I’ve been looking for my teacher. I’ve always been looking for a particular teacher, not knowing exactly who or what I was looking for.

My current boyfriend and I recognized each other, not instantaneously, but about a week after we met. We started talking and we talked way into the the wee hours, when suddenly I saw flashes of a past life that I was already aware of. That’s when I recognized him. I didn’t tell him that I recognized him, but instead asked him if he remembered ever having a past life in Egypt.

He was floored and said no one had ever asked him about Egypt. Then he got another surprised look on his face and started laughing. He said,”Oh, now I know who you are. Wow! It’s been a long time.”

Laughing, I sadi, I don’t know…. What do you remember? I wanted to be sure that we were remembering the same thing. He said he used to be my teacher and he described the path he took to where he taught me, and what the surrounding area looked like. His descriptions matched what I remembered. I laughed and said,”I finally found my teacher.”

With a smile, he said,”I’ve always been more than your teacher.” I smiled back and said,”We are different people this time ’round, so we’ll just see about that.”

Of course, we’ve been together ever since. But it’s only been 6 months. I don’t know how long it will last, but it’s nice. Also, his family really likes me and are happy I’m here because he’s never had a serious girlfriend and they were all worried about him (he’s 40 years old). Now his brother is going around bragging that his brother finally got a girlfriend. lol

November 16, 2012 at 8:42 pm
(5) Brenda says:

I know exactly what you mean by soul recognition. I’ve experienced it several times in my life. In most instances those people became friends in this lifetime, but in some instances they were someone I only met in passing. In some instances, it was clearly obvious that the person entered my life this time around to serve a particular function so I could learn something, and then they left. One instance, though, really drove home the whole “soul recognition” concept to me. I was working in an office, and a new employee started. He was close to my age, very well educated and very handsome. The moment he walked in the door, we both stopped dead in our tracks and pointed to each other and said, “I KNOW you!” We were so certain of this, we spent the next half hour trying to figure out where we knew each other from. After finding out we were raised in cities that were 1,000 miles apart, and attended colleges that were the same distance, and have never even been in the same state at the same time till that moment, we finally gave up and never did figure it out. This encounter has stuck with me for years. I know he’s someone I knew in a past life.

November 16, 2012 at 10:21 pm
(6) Paula says:

Soul connections can be with animals too. I rescued a Dachshund puppy once and was not going to keep her. She lay in my lap as my friend, another soul connection drove. Tabatha looked up into my eyes and my heart flipped. I knew she was someone I knew before. Of course I adopted her right off and had her for 12 wonderul years. My human friend not so much of a positive relationship. In and out but what a lesson that was!

November 17, 2012 at 9:44 am
(7) Phylameana says:

blissful,

Thank you for sharing about your reconnecting with your husband and finding your “together home.” It is a love story.

November 17, 2012 at 9:47 am
(8) Phylameana says:

BleuEdee,

Your experience/memory is exactly what I am talking about…. two people living their own lives (this time around) but given the opportunity to meet up if only for a moment or a couple of hours to acknowledge one another. Thanks for your comment. These experiences to me are confirmation that we all are truly connected.

November 17, 2012 at 9:50 am
(9) Phylameana says:

Sherry, Very cool that both you and your boyfriend are on the same page–both remembering. I know that I’ve had many lifetimes with my husband, but when I talk about it he is like “whatever” lol

November 17, 2012 at 9:52 am
(10) Phylameana says:

Brenda,

Ha ha! I can just see the two of you scratching your heads trying to figure out how you knew one another. Soul recognition can absolutely feel like that.

November 17, 2012 at 9:53 am
(11) Phylameana says:

I agree with you Paula, soul recognition with animals works the same way. I think they may know more clearly than us humans.

November 17, 2012 at 10:00 am
(12) Phylameana says:

Regina, good luck figuring it all out. I think you have the right attitude, accepting that you may or not hang around together for very long in this life. In the mean while, enjoy that special feeling.

April 13, 2013 at 6:45 pm
(13) here we go again says:

• I remember my last death & hiding as a spirit in a house until someone urged me to cross into the light. I was just grieving & didn’t want to go, but I recall my re-entry & how much I do not like being infant.. I knew you are not supposed to want to hang onto these memories, but I wanted so badly to be with the person I am with now that I did not let it go.
• 5th grade this life I recognized a stranger then finally met after high school & married him…then divorced.
• 1st year college I recognized a guy & it stopped me in my tracks as this was the soul I wanted to remember!! I knew I would not get to be with him until I was much older in this life. Sure enough… 23 years after college I worked with him & we have been together ever since.
• When my foot hit the concrete driveway I knew I would end up in my current home, but the person who bought it & put me here still does not know this.
• This life, I remember my “spirit guide” telling me about my dad’s death years before it happened.
• I always lived with the knowledge there is God … just always known.