1. Religion & Spirituality
Phylameana lila Desy

Do You See Dead People?

By November 2, 2012

halloween ghostFriday, November 2, 2012 - Mediumship - Post Halloween is an appropriate time to talk about spirit visitations. Pagans participate in Samhain festivities to honor the dead and celebrate harvest time. Mexican culture recognizes midnight of October 31st as the beginning of their Day of the Dead holiday, a time when deceased relatives are welcomed back home to visit. Halloween season is historically the time of year when the veil between the spirit world and the physical plan is at its thinnest making it easier for supernatural communications and ghostly apparitions to happen.

Do You See Dead People?

I don't talk about it much, but I sometimes see dead people. Mediumship is not my life calling but I have had communications with dead spirits. I am clairvoyant and have seen a few dead people over the years. I've grown accustomed to deceased relatives popping in for brief visits during my dream sequences. I believe that spirits visiting us in our dreams is the easiest way for them to make themselves noticed. In the past week four relatives appeared in one dream. It rather felt like I was attending a family reunion with my great grandmother, my mother-in-law, my ex-husband's step-mother, and an auntie all there at the same time. Dream time visitations from my beloved relatives always make me feel happy upon waking.

I've also had pop-in visits from spirits in the daytime while I'm fully awake, although such occurrences are rare for me. I witnessed the apparition of a celebrity once standing at my bedside one evening shortly before drifting off to slumber. This happened within a couple of hours of the person dying. At the time I thought the person had gotten lost during an astral trip. The experience was certainly trippy for me. I saw her clearly standing in front of me as if she were in the flesh. Her arms were outstretched with two yellow flowers grasped in a fist. A few seconds later she faded away, leaving me sitting upright in my bed in a state of wonder and bewilderment. I didn't learn of her passing until the next day from the news. I never told anyone about it until years later. It felt so surreal I was flustered and wasn't sure what was expected of me. Even now I'm not comfortable giving out the individual's name in respect for her family. But, the experience helped me realize that spirits can and do sometimes get confused during their transition.

Another unforgettable visitation from a departed soul occurred while sleeping in bed with my husband. He was sound asleep on his back and I was sleeping restlessly on my right side facing the wall. I awoke, albeit slightly groggy, and flipped over to my left side. As I was adjusting my pillow I opened my eyes and saw my deceased mother-in-law laying in our bed. She was sandwiched between her son and myself. Seeing her tucked in under the covers with us was a real eye-opener. Even now, years later, I clearly recollect her beautiful smile and the brightest blue eyes with an amused twinkle in them staring back at me. In a blink she was gone, but afterwards I lay awake in bed for at least an hour. I knew in my heart she had made her appearance in hopes I would tell her son she had been there. I wasn't sure he would believe me, but I told him about his mother's visitation in the morning anyway. It wouldn't have been fair to her or him if I hadn't. Whether he chose to believe she had truly been there or not was for him to decide.

image chris.corwin, Flickr Creative Commons

Focus Friday - This post is part of a once-weekly blog feature focusing on a singular healing topic. If you would like to get notifications delivered to your inbox each Friday alerting you to the Focus Friday topic please subscribe to my newsletter. In addition to the Friday delivery subscribers also receive my standard newsletter sent on Tuesday mornings. The Tuesday edition highlights new articles, newest blog posts, and includes links to a variety of healing topics.
Comments
November 2, 2012 at 10:53 am
(1) Katie says:

I have this ability as well and can sometimes see spirits or have that feeling they are there in the room.

When I was very young this ability was stronger, most likely because as a child , our minds are open and less cluttered.
Even my ESP was stronger as a child, but I still get those feelings about people and can sense who they are .To use this ability, I have to be in a relaxed state.

November 2, 2012 at 11:24 am
(2) Phylameana says:

Katie,

This has been my experience as well. Whenever I am tired, sleepy, relaxed, or experiencing a lowering of life energies it is easier for these types of spirit contacts to occur.

November 2, 2012 at 11:31 am
(3) Jamie Tashi Speirs says:

A great subject. I also used to think of them as “Dead” people and never thought much about them being around.
Now I think of it as another level that our mind has access to. It may be our enlightened mind.Perhaps this is just a rose by another name that feels right to me though.

November 2, 2012 at 1:16 pm
(4) Linda says:

I have always been able to sense and see spirits. My mother could too so I was never taught that it wasn’t normal. Now my son can see them too, who is only 6.5 yrs old. I don’t think it’s a bad thing, I believe it is a gift to be able to do this even though it can be unnerving sometimes when you don’t expect it.

November 2, 2012 at 2:24 pm
(5) Vivian says:

I see them all the time..since childhood..I’m a crystal child and so the line between dimensions has always been thin for me:)

November 2, 2012 at 8:37 pm
(6) Wallace says:

I was born in Scotland & as a boy I didn’t like several places because of the crowds which no one else seemed aware of, an elderly Aunt (who I laterfound out was a white witch) told me I was seeing the past people who had lived in these places. When I was 9 we moved to Queensland Australia & I continued to see the crowds less as I grew older but still some places seemed crowded. About 15 years ago we moved to Tasmania a state rich in history I became more spiritually active became a very accurate intuitive card reader. However I no longer see pirits even when visiting the famous convict settlements around Port Arthur in the south. Can you give me some sort of explanation for this as in an odd way I miss the crowded streets?

November 3, 2012 at 12:54 am
(7) basant says:

Though I don’t experience visit of far and near ones but my wife sees her father occasionaly

November 3, 2012 at 1:45 am
(8) tracy jones says:

my mom recently passed and i cant actually SEE her, but i know she is here, i have smelled flowers and we sense a presence so we talk to ther and make her feel welcome. a little creepy at night though….

November 3, 2012 at 2:03 am
(9) Phylameana says:

Tracy, my condolences on the recent loss of your mother.

November 4, 2012 at 6:29 pm
(10) Millie says:

As a child I was visited by spirits via dreams. One time a deceased relative gave me a message to relay to her son. This was very scary to me – and I was uncomfortable with this for a long time. As I got older it was less intense. I still have “visitation” dreams but not as many. I’ve always been an empathic too – and can read and feel peoples emotions.

November 29, 2012 at 6:29 pm
(11) Paula says:

This post is very interesting. My mom passed away in 2010 and I occasionally have dreams where she is alive. I feel very warm and comforted when this happens. I thought these were just “dreams” and didn’t think of them as visitations per se. I would like to know more about this phenomenon. Thanks!

January 10, 2013 at 11:50 pm
(12) Elizabeth says:

My mother passed from cancer not long ago and I miss her terribly. Since then, I’ve sensed her presence several times; when she is near me I feel happy and teary. She has come to me in my dreams a couple of times. In one dream, she looked healthy and happily told me that her knees no longer hurt (she had bad arthritis in life). In another I had a dream of the location of where she wants her ashes spread and heard her voice telling me exactly where to put them.
Other experiences: A plant she had given me went into full bloom on our first holiday without her. Since her passing, a light in my house flickers when I am the same room; is this her communicating?
I have had experiences like these my whole life.

January 18, 2013 at 12:39 pm
(13) me says:

a friend of mine can see spirits!…as i can see from this page is not so uncommon….

July 25, 2013 at 12:07 pm
(14) unknown says:

Every scence i was little iv seen. One time i was n bed and rolled over and there was a little girl just standing there looking at me. My mother who passed away when i was 12 has cintacted me now another girl in my bf apt. Has contacted me came to our bedroom door when we was wide awake just staring i thought sje was the only one here. But noe i think she has a mother cuz i seen the mother lingering in the hall way but that same night she entered my body my bf said i was acting diff and i statted having sezure like activitie but he said my eyes went two diff ways we was bith scared to death then last night i seen the little girl jist aittin in the bath tub. Staring at me. I dont know whays going to happen next. They wont stop contacting me.

August 9, 2013 at 5:32 am
(15) Maggie says:

When my son was born, I was feeding him in the middle of the night. I felt a presence in the room & turned to find my Nanna standing by me – she passed in 1983. Another evening feed, I felt a presence again & instead of seeing someone, I could smell a strong smell of Pears soap which my Granny used. When I’m gardening I often think of my Granny, who also loved gardening. She had pure white hair & I always have those white butterflies flying around my head & sitting on my shoulder – I like to think its her keeping an eye on me!

August 9, 2013 at 6:07 pm
(16) phylameana says:

Maggie,
I think that is so sweet that your Granny makes her presence known to you. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

September 24, 2013 at 5:53 pm
(17) unknown1 says:

i was told some stories about me being able to see ghosts 1 of them is when…i was 3 mom used to (and still does) get out the picture books and i told her the people in the pictures well one of em was my grandma who died before i was alive she showed me a picture of her and i told her who she was and she asked” me how do you know her you never saw her before” and” i said yes i have i see her all the time” and a nother one i was still 3 this was in a grocery store i was talking about a person called jhonny mom asked me “who is jhonny” “i said my brother and “she said where is he” and again i said “right next to me holding my hand” she got very freaked out cause i only have one brother and his name is tucker not jhonny

September 25, 2013 at 2:57 am
(18) Shanna says:

I’ve seen spirits my entire life. Tonight I had a very upseting encounter. I saw myself fully formed in my living room. I was absolutely awake and I saw myself with fatal injuries and I was dead. Has anyone heard of this type of vision or what it means? I’m truly unnerved and very concerned.

October 7, 2013 at 8:14 am
(19) Matt says:

You people are hallucinating, stop trying to romanticize what is happening

Imagine if scientist when conducting research when discussing their sources of error had to account for ghosts messing with the experiment. You can’t make any assumptions if you realistically believe that these spirits can interact with you. The computers you are writing on are only possible with hundreds of years of scientific progress that controlled for different factors to isolate what is really happening. How do you control an experiment for spirits? So throw away your computers I’d you want to believe this is how life works.

Why does nobody consider the possibility of hallucination? You are all writing this because you want to twist it so emotionally you feel special. I’m different I’m a star child and I am clairvoyant and I am slightly more sensitive then the rest of you humps. When you people can start proving what is happening is real with double blind experiments then stop spreading this sick idea that your hallucinations are real. Mediums are the biggest charlatans in the world, I despise them as much as Christian priests who lie to manipulate people and make money for themselves.

March 10, 2014 at 6:32 pm
(20) pamea says:

i was in bed ound asleep..my english bulldog was at the end of my bed barking..i sat up in my bed there was a boy standing in my bedroom door way..i thought it was my son (21 yrs.) i said “son what are you doing?..go to bed” he left..my son was out of town at the time

April 2, 2014 at 12:55 pm
(21) Patti says:

I have seen a spirit for the first time last year. It happened September 28th 2013. To me it was just a really nice day for anyone to be outside.My husband ,my two daughters, my sister,my daughters friend and I were on our way back from an apple orchard in Michigan. When we were in the car on the way back I seen an older man walking on the sidewalk and he was hunched over. I seen him walk toward a house and it had a long driveway. I had looked down for something in my purse for a second and I wanted to look back up and see if he was walking alright to his house because I was worried about this man. I looked back up and he was gone. I was in a panic where did he go? There was no way that man made it to the house in a split second when the driveway was very long to get to the house and him walking so very slow. I had asked every person in that car if they had seen this old man and of course they did not. So now I am thinking what the heck now I am nuts! Later I had asked if any of the other family members if they had seen this older man walking on the sidewalk. Thank God another family member had seen him as well. The only weird thing was why was I the only one to see this happen?