1. Religion & Spirituality
Phylameana lila Desy

Spirit Visitations OR Hallucinations of the Deceased?

By April 11, 2012

Dr. Mark D. Miller is confident reported spirit visitations of the recently deceased are actually grief-related hallucinations. Dr. Miller says "It's very common for people to have friendly hallucinations of deceased relatives." This is what Kathy Samudovsky reported Miller saying in her January 2010 article about deceased pet visitations published in the Post Gazette. Miller calls it a phenomenon, that hallucinations occur when the critical thinking area of the brain is not functioning. Psychiatry explains that when a grief-stricken person cannot accept death, the mind will "anthropomorphize" as a coping mechanism. [Dictionary.com gives this definition for anthorpomorphize: to ascribe human form or attributes to (an animal, plant, material object, etc.)..]

Non-acceptance or disbelief is the typical response I've come to expect from a scientific point of view. Spiritual-oriented or faith-centered individuals will usually have differing opinions.

Actually, the premise of Samudovsky's article is an attempt to find out if animals return to visit their owners in spirit form from the other side. Samudovsky offers four different perspectives on the topic of a sensing spiritual presence of the physically departed : Matter of the mind, Matters of spirit, Matters of faith, and Matters of ectoplasm.

Spirit Communication Stories from our Readers

~ Healing Lesson of the Day ~
~ Affirmation of the Day ~
Comments
January 13, 2010 at 10:21 am
(1) Dr. Sonal Chhaya says:

I would like to share my experience…. Four months after my daughter was born we were visited by my deceased father who expired two weeks before her birth. He was standing close to her cot . My daugher is nineteen now…
Would u label this as hallucination????

January 20, 2010 at 12:19 pm
(2) Edil says:

I was acompaning A friend to visit a friend ,this was someone I did not know.I was left alone at the family room while she went to visit the father of this person at his sick bed.Sudenlly I saw this beatifull small long hair white dog comming thu a door and walking directly into a bedroom and going under the bed.I tried to call this litlle fluff of hair to play with me but it never came out from under the bed .When my frienf retured a while later with the owner and hosstes of the home I me tioned to her about the small white timid dog that was hiding under the bed.Thi person almost passed out and started to cry .Finally she was able to tellus that I was describing her dog that had been killed by a bar in front of the house about a month before.The dog was acostumed to sleep under her bed .

January 20, 2010 at 12:49 pm
(3) Edil says:

I remembered when I was about 11 years old,I was at by bed when I saw this white haired lady that stopped in front of the door smiled at me and continued walking toward the end of the house where my mom and grandma were talking and doing cores.I was curious to Know who this lady was so iI went to the back of the house where I knew they were ,and where I saw this lady going also.I asked then about the lady because I did not see her with them,they denied that there was no one else with them,I insisted and my mother became very angry with me and sent me to my room. When my father returned from worked in the afternoon my mother that was very angry with me because I was INVENTING THINGS told him about all this that happend.My father came to my room and questioned me about all of this.I told him ,and he then went to his safe and took out some documents and fotos .He show me the fotos and adked me if any foto was of the person I said that had visited in the morning.I picked imeadiatly a foto of a sweet looking lady and told him that it was the visiting lady.My father startes to cry very softly and told me that it was a photo of his mother that died of cancer when I was 9 months old.He send the foto to be made bigger and put her in my room.I had always felt that my grandmother is very close to me and in the most troblesome moments of my life she had been helpping me to go yhu them.

April 11, 2012 at 4:27 pm
(4) Sukhmandir Kaur says:

People like to make up logical explanations for unusual phenomena especial when they have not experienced it for themselves first hand.

August 18, 2012 at 11:34 am
(5) Lori says:

Some things are never to be explained by humans,
who is it for anyone to say it not real..

it beyond the five senses are people pass over to the spirit world.
there well be alot of sceptics out there.

but why sholud they say what they want and get away with it

get on on with your sceptics and let those who believe in God and the Angels and those who do get visitations be left alone.

there are many spiritual gifts from God …
there will be alot of people trying to find out or go into depth on how the world was made forget about the big bang or anything esle

it was God created this world the oceans the beachs
the montains etc not a sculpture!
that to those who knock spiritaul visitations!!
————————————————————

January 26, 2014 at 2:32 am
(6) Check Shyong Quek says:

I am a Christian and did not believe this 40 days visitation until my mum passed away last month. The first week or during the 9 days after her passing, there were signs that she came to visit me by unmistakable smells and fragrance. The first one was the unmistakable smell of my mother with her skin moisturizer; the second one was the same smell plus fragrance of a flower which I did not really know what kind of flower it was. The third time which lasted the longest, about 6 to 8 seconds was totally the fragrance of the flower which was a strong fragrance. The next day I went to my friend’s house and his friend who was staying with him got to know about this and went to my friend’s garden and brought back some flowers which is JASMINE and it was exactly 100% the fragrance I experienced the night before. After that, I am a total believer in this 40 day-visitation. My church actually forbids us to believe in all this and told us that the soul sleeps after death until resurrection day but now I Know this is not true – the soul does visit their loved-ones and give signs to try to comfort them. I am comforted by the signs but I am still in great agony because the loss is real in a physical sense where I could not see her physically anymore and I do not have the chance anymore to care for her, cook for her, wash her laundry, buy her favourite foods, etc.. And now that she is gone, I only realized that it was a privilege and enjoyment to serve her while she was alive because we enjoyed talking to each other very much and she was always there for me no matter what! And I will always remember that My Mother is the only person in the world that truly loves me unconditionally.