1. Religion & Spirituality
Phylameana lila Desy

Reiki Does Not Always Heal the Way You Want

By September 8, 2011

Free Advice from Animal Reiki Shaman, Rose De Dan

family dog

This week Rose received a rather long correspondence from Tracy C. sharing details about her dog, Doc (pictured here) and two strays (a neglected yellow Tabby named Sundance, and an injured and limping black Lab) who she tried to help with Reiki. Her email is much too long to post in a single blog post so I've copy and pasted it into an article template (Reiki and Stray Animals) if anyone is interested in reading the email in its entirety. Tracy's basic question was why her dog Doc never seemed interested in Reiki treatments. And, she was also puzzled that her Reiki applications failed to help two stray animals that had found their way to her.

Response from Rose: Hi Tracy, the practice of Reiki can be more challenging than the actual training.

We often think of Reiki as a healing modality--a term that can be misleading. To many of us healing means that one recovers from an illness, injury or emotional distress.

But the intention of the Reiki practitioner should not be on the person or animal getting better, it should always be for the highest good of the recipient. And that means the practitioner must let go of their attachment to the outcome and be willing to be the straw, or the hollow bone, for the energy. This means that the practitioner does not always get what they want, but the recipient always gets what they need.

And this leads to the realization that the practitioner must even lose attachment to the desire to relieve pain. Reiki offers assistance on other levels, not just physical--mental, emotional, and spiritual-- and those levels may not always be apparent to us. In other words the recipient may be receiving benefit that we cannot see.

Doc sounds like a wise dog. Animals love us unconditionally, and usually have really good reasons for why they do what they do--often lessons intended to assist us in our own growth. I sense that Doc, Sundance, and the Black have a message for you, one that it is important that you journey for since you mention that you have had shamanic training. You can also ask your power animal for assistance.

In addition there are other steps you can take to receive the healing that you seek and that the animals wish you to receive.

You mention that you are a Reiki Master, which means that you would have received training in how to send Reiki from a distance in Level II. So I might suggest that either before or after you journey you consider sending Reiki back in time for yourself, to the point of origin of your need to make a difference or "heal."

I'd like to be very clear that there is nothing wrong with being compassionate and offering Reiki where it may be needed. What I am suggesting here is letting go of your need to have the result be a certain way. Send Reiki for your own self-healing with intent to release whatever is triggering your sorrow or guilt that you did not do enough, or did not do "the right thing."

You can also send Reiki back in time to the situation, the occasion of the passing of each animal, for the highest good of all, thereby opening possibilities for them. And you can include a Bridge of Light to assist them in their crossing. If you have difficulty letting go of attachment to outcome you can again send Reiki for your own self-healing before proceeding.

When we allow our hearts to open fully and trust the Reiki energy, ourselves and the guidance of the animals, everything happens as it should.

Best wishes to you on your journey through life, Tracy. And know that you always have the support of Spirit, Reiki/shamanic energy, and the animals.

Rose De Dan,
Animal Reiki Shaman

Disclaimer: Rose De Dan shares insights derived from spirit and through animal communication. Any advice she offers is not meant as a substitute for veterinary care.

Each week, we invite a different intuitive to answer a question from a reader. If you'd like to submit a question for Rose please email her directly.

Meet Our In House Intuitives

Comments
September 13, 2011 at 9:31 am
(1) Nan says:

When I was first attuned to Reiki, my sole intent was to “cure” my wonderful orange tabby, Max, who had diabetes. I found out that it was not for his highest good that I was doing this, it was for me. He did not let me do Reiki on him. My friend said it was because he was an old soul and he was there to show me what diabetes could do to me – not for me to cure him. He taught me some very valuable lessons as we dealt with his illness for six years. Once he decided I had learned what I needed, he said it was time for him to go. I lost him when he was 16 years old; and I still do NOT have diabetes and know to keep a close eye on my health thanks to my Max.

September 20, 2011 at 9:06 pm
(2) doc daneeka says:

Why don’t you just send some reiki back in time to prevent diabetes?

It’d be a lot easier than the hassle of keeping an eye on your health.

September 20, 2011 at 11:53 pm
(3) Rose De Dan, Wild Reiki and Shamanic Healing says:

Hi Nan, thank you for sharing your story about Max and what you learned from him. Our animal companions have much wisdom to share when we take the time to listen, as you did. I’ll bet Max is proud of you (-:

September 20, 2011 at 9:01 pm
(4) doc daneeka says:

Ahem – “consider sending Reiki back in time for yourself”.

Perhaps this sort of thing could serve as a clue that your beliefs are ridiculous.

Very funny article! I am slightly worried, though, that you’re not in on the joke.

September 20, 2011 at 11:22 pm
(5) Phylameana says:

doc daneeka (although I suspect that is not your real name), why so cynical? Apparently you are not open to Reiki so why not just leave it at that? What are these nasty comments all about? I sense some bitterment.

September 21, 2011 at 7:19 am
(6) doc daneeka says:

I’ll be honest – I am a little bitter that these animals suffered more than was necessary.

How sure are you that these animals benefited from Reiki? For the sake of argument, could it not be possible that Reiki didn’t work? That the explanation for no visible improvement is that you were wrong?

I am sure you’re all well meaning, but try not to be so open to things that your brain falls out.

September 21, 2011 at 3:26 am
(7) tushcloots says:

Maybe if she’d taken the poor animals to the vet immediately they might have lived. This is the sickest crap I’ve read in a very long time.
If you pulled this sh*t on a child, you would be up on charges of manslaughter and negligent homicide.
You play some sort of twisted doctor/faith healing game while poor animals suffer and die. This is the behavior of psychopaths. If you were even slightly in touch with reality, you would think about the animals welfare instead of experimenting your magical fantasizing while pretending what a compassionate empath you are while a dog bleeding to death in front of your face in great distress, dying, escapes your notice.
If you can’t even grow up enough to recognize that your play time is given precedence over the dire needs of a wounded helpless animal, looking to you for help, maybe a visit from the ASPCA would clue your perverted sensibilities in.

September 21, 2011 at 9:03 am
(8) Phylameana says:

Wow! Not very judgmental are we? Name calling isn’t necessary. Tracy took both animals in for medical care. Reiki has never been said to be a cure all… it complements traditional health care. Rose routinely advocates veterinary care – read previous column The Vet is Your Ally

As for anyone one else who wants to share their views in this thread, you are welcome to your opinions, but lets all be civil, and no name calling please.

September 21, 2011 at 9:12 am
(9) Arlene says:

“Rose routinely advocates veterinary care read previous column The Vet is Your Ally”

This may be so, but with seriously ill or injured animals, the vet should be the first port of call, and time is of the essence.

September 21, 2011 at 12:55 pm
(10) James Stopper says:

Where is this supposed name calling?

September 21, 2011 at 8:08 am
(11) Arlene says:

It is likely the cat could have been saved with immediate vet care. Feline flu and infection are common in feral or stray cats. (I have an 8 year old cat here who was abandoned by its mother at 5 weeks who pulled through with round the clock medical care) As to reiki, I do not believe it and neither would I have let any animal suffer in such a fashion even if I did. There is no scientific evidence that reiki works and would not take such a chance on a living breathing sentient creature.

Tracy, you sound like a sweet sensitive person, that being said, in future go with your head, not with your heart.

September 21, 2011 at 10:44 am
(12) Rose De Dan, Wild Reiki and Shamanic Healing says:

I agree with Phylameana, there is no need for name calling. Anyone who has an opinion to express, agreeing or disagreeing with what I write, is welcome to post.

However it is not only inappropriate to personally attack the people seeking assistance, it also means that your opinion is not going to be taken seriously. If you wish to make a point please do so in a civil fashion so that there is a possibility of a discussion.

That said, in answering this question I chose to address only the Reiki aspects especially since Tracy had taken steps to have the animals seen by a vet.

Perhaps I should have added that I train my students to have Reiki be a support after the diagnosis of a veterinarian. The future of health care in this country (already in place worldwide) is the use of allopathic medicine and complementary care together both in hospitals and veterinary practices.

Reiki was in use in hospital operating rooms as early as the mid-90′s, and it might surprise some readers to know that in 2007, according to the American Hospital Association, 15% or over 800 American hospitals now offer Reiki as part of their services. And the number of hospitals and vet offices offering complementary services such as acupuncture and Reiki increases yearly.

If anyone would like more information on research on Reiki and Reiki in hospitals you can visit: http://www.centerforreikiresearch.org

September 21, 2011 at 11:44 am
(13) Mars says:

Go get them Rose. People only hear and read what they want to believe. Does anyone of those who commented negatively, know the sucess rate of doctors? Positive intent, no matter the modality, helps.

September 21, 2011 at 12:53 pm
(14) James Stopper says:

The fact that such a number of hospitals “use” reiki does not mean that it offers any benefit outside of the benefit of interaction with another human being.

September 21, 2011 at 12:51 pm
(15) James Stopper says:

I am stunned that we are still discussing such faith healing techniques in the 21st century. This is nothing short of a scam, and there is no justification for its continued use on animals or humans. It belongs to faith, and that is not health care. Please do the right thing and stop hurting people with baseless treatments.

September 21, 2011 at 2:08 pm
(16) Concerned Citizen says:

After reading this “article”, noting that faith “healing” woo is allowed on about.com, I just have one thing to say.

I will never again use about.com for anything. It is clearly not to be trusted.

September 21, 2011 at 3:50 pm
(17) Phylameana says:

What websites you choose to frequent is up to you. But FYI Reiki is not type of faith healing, it is classified as energy medicine.

September 21, 2011 at 3:40 pm
(18) Rose De Dan, Wild Reiki and Shamanic Healing says:

Reiki is not faith healing. It requires no belief on the part of the practitioner nor recipient for its benefits to be felt, and it is not part of any organized religion. For general comparison Reiki is similar in application and effect to acupuncture, but without the needles.

I am a practical and honest person and I base my perception of Reiki’s effectiveness on results with my own animal as well as my clients. As you may be aware there is no placebo effect to take into account when working with animals; the response is 100% genuine and often very immediate.

I would never tell anyone that Reiki is effective in every situation any more than a doctor or vet would tell you that they save all their clients. That’s simply impossible.

Please stop picking on Tracy, she asked for help and guidance, and I do not feel she is in any way deserving of the criticism that is being directed at her. I honestly believe she made the best decisions she could at the time. Life is a growth process, and we are all learning.

September 21, 2011 at 11:20 pm
(19) Curious says:

Life is complicated! If you want to believe something, fine. But if you’re interested in knowing whether what you believe can be better explained some other way, you have to be prepared to look for those other explanations.

I propose that the benefits of Reiki can be explained by the comforting presence of another person – something which can affect both animals and people.

Do you disagree? If so, why? Do you have more than your faith in your craft to back up your belief?