1. Religion & Spirituality
Phylameana lila Desy

Neti Pot is Vehicle Brain-Eating Parasite Entered Man's Body

By August 18, 2011

neti potI routinely cleanse my sinuses with the use of a saline wash through the delivery of a neti pot. So, when I learned that the use of a neti pot was traced to the rare death of a Louisiana man who succumbed to a brain infection I was very surprised, but not alarmed. The investigation into his death shows this was an isolated case traced to a parasite found in the man's home water system.

The brain-eating ameba (amoeba) is also blamed for the death of two children this summer after swimming. This parasite, called Naegleria fowleri, is generally found in warm freshwater (ponds, lakes, rivers) or natural hot springs. The ameba enters the brain through the nose causing a fatal infection.

It is important to point out that this condition is very rare. But, to err on the side of caution, Dr. Raoult Ratard, Louisiana's state epidemiologist, recommends using only sterile, distilled, or boiled water in neti pots.

photo (c) Phylameana Desy

~ Healing Lesson of the Day ~
~ Affirmation of the Day ~
Comments
August 18, 2011 at 7:39 pm
(1) Anne says:

Phyl,
Thanks so much for writing about this. I never use tap water, but I have slid back from distilled to bottled spring in the last few years. I’ll slide forward to using the distilled again. :)

November 25, 2011 at 9:42 pm
(2) Adrienne says:

It’s okay to use the spring water which tastes cleaner, but as a precaution I always boil ALL potable water for at least 5 minutes, even when cooking.

August 19, 2011 at 8:41 am
(3) yatono limalima says:

Thanks sister, best post I’d got learnt a lot.

August 23, 2011 at 9:27 am
(4) Blissful says:

We have a reverse osmosis system or our drinking water and we use that. Hopefully amoeba don’t get through the 3 filters in the system. The tester shows that our drinking water is very clean.
I guess it wouldn’t hurt to boil a quart a day and use that when we use the neti pot though.

August 23, 2011 at 9:34 am
(5) Kennette says:

Hi Everyone,

It is important to note: The water he used was not sterile and the amebea was not found in the city water.

I have spoken with Texas Dept. of Public Health Epidemeologist and am awaiting a call from the Louisiana State Epidemeologist to confirm it was not found in their city’s water but was confimed to the 20 yr old’s water piping in his home.

I’ll keep you posted on what I found out!

Namaste’,

August 24, 2011 at 1:10 am
(6) Phylameana says:

It is my understanding that the parasite finding was isolated to the home’s independent water system and not in the public water supply, but I’d be very interested in the response you in to your query.

Thanks Kennette.

FYI – You have a lovely name. When I was pregnant with my second child I had the name Kenwyn Jennette picked out if I had a girl (I had a boy) Kennette is like a blend of those two. I like it.

August 24, 2011 at 12:20 pm
(7) CHERYL says:

We moved to a house that had a well, and the pipes had not be maintained and the well had not been bleached, when we had a water softener installed the guy showed me how to do it. He also took all the aerators off all faucets and turned them all on, then banged on the pipes. You would not believe the gross stuff that came out! CHUNKS of stuff! It looked like diahrea coming out of all the faucets, it was disgusting. After that I was that we had a reverse osmosis unit put in.

August 26, 2011 at 8:14 am
(8) Vinod (INDIA) says:

After using NETI , you must have to clean each nostril by blowing breath out word. Keep finger in one nostril and blow breath out side from second nostril with force. repeat 2-3 times.”It is a must process.”
simply you can exert water by your mouth or can drink it. but Please first you do it in presence of experienced person.
Thank you.

@ Miss Phylameanalila disi, you are requested to please give citation.

September 16, 2011 at 1:27 pm
(9) Damyanti says:

When performing NETI always use water boiled and cooled to body temparature ( when you put finger in water it should not be chilled but feel look warm.

December 8, 2011 at 11:45 am
(10) Shea says:

I don’t understand how only his pipes had the amoeba. Is it possible that he contracted the amoeba somewhere else and using the neti pot flushed some of the amoebas from his sinuses down his drain?

December 16, 2011 at 10:35 pm
(11) Bon says:

@Shea, Kennette says that it was confirmed that the amoeba were found in the man’s pipes, NOT his drains.

This was in a new report today: “A 51-year-old DeSoto Parish woman died after using tap water in a neti pot to irrigate her sinuses and became infected by the deadly amoeba, which entered the body through her nose.”

It could be that these people are in older houses that have never had proper pipe clean outs. Also, it is the South which means warmer temps and higher humidity which leads to faster growth of all kinds of things (if you live in the South, how much bread have you thrown out in your lifetime because of mold?).

So, the Neti Pot is not the culprit, it’s the water in certain houses. Just use the proper water and you don’t have to worry.

December 29, 2011 at 10:02 pm
(12) nadya says:

this is so scary!! i dont use sterile or distilled water. at times ive used fridge water and others tap water. just moved to tx in a small little town near the capital- how much risk do we actually have of contracting this parasite!?