1. Religion & Spirituality
Phylameana lila Desy

A Week's Worth of Healthy Breakfast Choices

By March 21, 2011

holistic healingI have a confession to make. For years I skipped breakfast. I knew it wasn't right, my mother certainly taught me better. But, once I began living under my own roof I figured I didn't have to listen to my mother any longer. When I became a mother I made sure that breakfast was available each morning for my own children. But still, I seldom ate breakfast myself.

I've since come to my senses and do eat breakfast most days. I normally miss breakfast probably one day a week only because I forget. Years of skipping breakfast can do that to a person. I've come to really enjoy my breakfast time in the mornings. My two favorites are smoothies, and believe it or not... oatmeal! How do you like your oatmeal?

Keeping in mind that a good breakfast consists of fiber and protein I have posted post a week's worth of breakfast choices. Nothing fancy, but absolutely healthy choices. These are easy to prepare, and a couple of them only require you to grab them up on your way out of the door. Enjoy!

Simple to Fix Breakfasts

1. Sunday Breakfast: Veggie omelet (two eggs, diced red or green peppers, diced onions, halved cherry or grape tomatoes, salt, pepper, turmeric)

2. Monday Breakfast: Protein energy bar

3. Tuesday Breakfast: Oatmeal with walnuts and blueberries (click for recipe)

4. Wednesday Breakfast: Fresh banana along with handful of almonds or granola mix.

5. Thursday Breakfast: Yogurt and fruit smoothie (click for recipe)

6. Friday Breakfast: Whole wheat toast spread with peanut butter, fresh apple or pear

7. Saturday Breakfast: Cottage cheese, mandarin oranges, rye crackers
oatmeal image: Joe Desy

~ Healing Lesson of the Day ~
~ Affirmation of the Day ~

Join Me on Facebook | Get My Twitter Updates | Visit My Forum

Comments
February 10, 2008 at 11:39 am
(1) theresa says:

add chopped apple and a teaspoon of groundcinnamon to your oatmeal instead of sugar.

February 10, 2008 at 1:25 pm
(2) Phylameana says:

Good idea substituting the brown sugar with apples and cinnamon. ! This morning I cooked up steel-cut oatmeal. I takes twenty minutes to cook— so is definitely a weekend choice, I cooked it in water, but I’ve been told it tastes even better if cooked in apple juice. In fact, I think my rice cooker came with a recipe for cooking oatmeal with apple juice and raisins. I may try making a big pot of it next time the kids come visiting. But for just my husband and me a quick breakfast is the better way to go during the work week.

January 29, 2009 at 12:43 pm
(3) Chris says:

This is awesome because I, too, skip breakfast.

Alot of these ideas are pretty simple to make, I’m going to make an attempt to eat breakfast!

January 30, 2009 at 12:13 pm
(4) Phylameana says:

Hey Chris,

If you are reading this, what did you eat for breakfast this morning? Or anyone else, what did you eat for breakfast?

January 31, 2009 at 7:53 am
(5) Pearl says:

This post showed up in my dashboard today! It’s Saturday morning and I have a full day of busy unnecessary running around to do and I too tend to skip breakfast so this is very helpful Phyl.. Thank you so much!

March 2, 2009 at 11:45 am
(6) Bruce says:

I like to put a little EVOO on whole grain bread and toast it in a toaster oven, then put a little peanut butter on it.

Smoothies, juicing, oatmeal, shredded wheat are my other options

March 3, 2009 at 12:25 am
(7) Leslie says:

Before my morning run I like to eat a banana with a spoonful of peanut or almond butter. Gives energy and doesn’t upset my stomach.

August 15, 2009 at 2:11 am
(8) tanya says:

i think every things good except for the part about bread and peanut butter…

August 15, 2009 at 2:17 am
(9) tatianna says:

its fine to eat banana’s but try having half a banana because bananas are high in trans fat, so unless you don’t use it as energy, it will be stored as fat… and not just a run, like full day training sweat dripping down every where type of exercise.
also only have a handful of nuts per day, any more than that can cause you to gain weight, and try making things with olive oil instead of butter, check the sugar amount and fat amount on your energy bars, those can be extremely unhealthy too, although they do give you energy, your going to gain as much as you lost…

September 2, 2009 at 1:37 am
(10) Prem says:

I eat breakfast everyday and six days a week I have a glass of oatmeal cooked in water & milk. along with this chapattis, rice pancakes, wheat coarsley ground etc. sundays I have tea instead.

January 13, 2010 at 7:35 pm
(11) Henry Umana says:

another great choice can be crackers with hummus or even wholewheat toast or bagel you can substitute cream cheese for hummus

March 5, 2010 at 9:07 am
(12) Tina says:

Tatianna….where did you get you nutrition degree? Bananas don’t have trans fat. They are higher in sugar but don’t have saturated or trans fat

March 8, 2010 at 8:04 am
(13) Dawn says:

Love the fruit smoothies, whole wheat toast with peanut butter, cottage cheese and triscuits, french vanilla yogurt with fresh berries…

March 22, 2011 at 1:03 am
(14) Helen says:

Nothing wrong with a bit of fat – studies are increasingly showing that it is sugar, not fat, that causes weight gain. And the jury has gone back out on fat and heart disease, while many follow a Paleo style diet which includes plenty of fat.

It’s a good idea to put some thought into what you eat, though knowing what is healthy these days is a real challenge. (For me, wheat, whole or not, is most certainly not healthy… while for others, oatmeal causes an insulin spike.)

My current favorite breakfast is a banana and almond butter pancake, or a spinach omelette. Sometimes a flaked rice, coconut and banana porridge (like oatmeal) with blueberries or pecans and dried fruit.

February 26, 2014 at 9:40 am
(15) ellen says:

I also made steel cut oatmeal and it took 30 min.
I made too much. Maybe I can freeze separate portions. Anyway, I sprinkled chopped walnuts on top and should have used agave instead of real sugar! I have to confess that I forget to have breakfast too and there is no hope for me as I am 70 .. thanks