1. Religion & Spirituality
Phylameana lila Desy

Fly Away With Me

By June 26, 2008

I haven't had a flying dream in awhile and I wish I would. Flying dreams can be exhilarating or frustrating depending on the dream scenario. My favorite flying dream I had was when I was a child. I found myself sitting on a magic carpet and being whisked away to magical places. The most frustrating flying dream sequence I've experienced (more than once) as an adult is not being able to get lift-off or barely hovering over the ground. The lucid dreamer will often choose flying as his desired form of transportation when dreaming.

What types of flying dreams do you have?

Dream interpretation is an art. There is no right or wrong way to interpret the meaning of our slumber meanderings. The meaning of flying dreams has been the topic of much speculation and makes for interesting water cooler conversations. Flying dreams actually often have to do with career aspirations. Flying can symbolize ambition and attaining higher status.

So what does it mean to fly in your dreams?

Here are a few ideas:

Soaring High: Flying upwards indicates success or achievement. Look below you to see what is underneath you to discover area of your life is going well. Are you flying over your home (family happiness) or over the building where you work (business successes).

Flying in/on a Vehicle: Were you floating away in a hot air balloon, grabbing onto a kite string, sitting inside an airplane, or being carried in the arms of Superman? Any of these flying dreams indicate that your efforts are being supported by someone else. You are not alone in your endeavors.

Losing Altitude: A need for re-evaluation of your goals. Ask yourself if you are headed in the right direction.

Failure to get Lift-Off: A strong gravity pull could be signifying a need for grounding.

Healing Poll: What Kind of Flying Dreams Do You Have?

Vote now: You can select more than one answer

Healing Poll Center

A recurring flying dream I have is flying inline with the traffic flow. I am significantly higher than the cars below me. In fact I am above the tree tops but I am unable to fly "as a crow flies." When the traffic light turns red I stop in hover pose, when the light changes to green I am moving again. This is a weird flying dream because although I am above the traffic and there is no harm of collision I seem to be locked into the boundaries and speed limits of the roads below me. I think the dream means that although I am somewhat restricted by rules to abide by I have been given a liberal dose of freedom to express myself. That, or perhaps I am bound by obligation but I am testing the boundaries.

Please share your flying dreams and also your interpretations of flying dreams. I'd love reading about them.

Also read about: Falling Dreams

image photos.com

~ Affirmation of the Day ~
~ Healing Lesson of the Day ~

Join Me on Facebook | Get My Twitter Updates

Comments
June 26, 2008 at 4:42 pm
(1) Shelley says:

I have three recurrent types of flying dreams. In my favorite version I fly effortlessly as high as I want, in whichever direction I want. There’s definitely a correlation between this dream and accomplishments in waking life. Unfortunately, this means my favorite flying dream doesn’t occur as often as I’d like.

In the second, I leap and hover a little repeatedly and in great frustration, while everyone else seems to fly freely. I am weighed down and feeling inadequate.

Least favorite flying dream: I’m really high in the air and zipping along, when it crosses my mind that humans cannot fly. Sort of like Looney Tunes, when the coyote realizes he’s run halfway across a gaping chasm–maybe if didn’t think and just kept running? Anyway, then I fall. And I fall so vividly it wakes me up in a total panic. What this means I don’t know, but hate the terror of it.

June 26, 2008 at 5:55 pm
(2) wb says:

My usual flying dreams have been more like gliding. I sort of skate along, each push off sending me for a long low glide just a little off the ground.

June 27, 2008 at 6:49 am
(3) Marcia Purse says:

I never have flying dreams. What does that mean?

I have awful fear/danger-of-falling dreams (just had another last night), but I don’t think those count.

Marcia
About.com Guide to Bipolar Disorder

June 28, 2008 at 12:58 pm
(4) Sue says:

My flying dreams are always like I’m swimming, but in the air instead of water. I have to keep moving my arms to keep myself going. I use to have them a lot as a child, but I can’t remember the last time I had a flying dream… it’s been many years. I rarely even dream anymore.

June 28, 2008 at 2:34 pm
(5) Franny Syufy says:

I had flying dreams often as a child, and they almost all took place over a school playground. I used a combination of arm movement and gliding and was maybe about 10 to 15 feet up in the air.

I’ve had the same dream a few times as an adult, but not that I remember in recent years.

July 1, 2008 at 11:54 am
(6) Janet says:

I have had two that I can remember and neither ever reoccurred.
In the first one I was piloted away in a rocket like airplane, off to a new planet or such. This one was right before I had a major life change.
In the second I ascended, spiraling upward in a kissing/flying dream. I have no idea what it meant. It was a swirling exciting feeling!

July 1, 2008 at 12:03 pm
(7) Lesley says:

About 8 years ago i had a dream that i was flying quite low over the top of the sea. I looked back and could see i had travelled a long way, but i wasn’t scared, just happy. I got to a huge rock and landed on it and there was a see-through kind of net curtain or veil material, that i pulled back to have a look behind.. then i woke up! I had a few similar flying dreams since, but not with the net curtain bit.

July 1, 2008 at 12:37 pm
(8) Blissful says:

When I studied parapsychology about 30 years ago, I was told that flying dreams could be part of astral travel within the context of a dream.
I’ve had many experiences with astral projection/travel and it seems like that could be the case with me.

I still fly frequently….(hmmmm should I be getting frequent flyer miles or some sort of benefits? :)
…..and I STILL, after all these years, have a tendency to have very fast crash landings back into my body….no injuries though! LOL

July 1, 2008 at 5:45 pm
(9) anne says:

I have had several soaring dreams. I glide through the air, and have done so both indoors and outdoors. The best part is how I feel in these dreams. It is so absolutely the most wonderful feeling. Perfect. Heavenly. I never want it to end. And I’m always so pleased after have one, because I have this tremendous sense of well being. Very Peaceful.

July 1, 2008 at 8:38 pm
(10) Dee says:

Throughout my adult life, I’ve dreamtt of running & I start to float upward & then I control the height & direction with my hands. To fly higher, I pull upward with the palms of my hands in a moving upward motion. To lower myself, I turn my palms downward & push with them in a moving downward motion. To move to the left, I turn the palms open to the left with left motion & the same to move right. Palms turned to the right. To land, I do the opisite motion of flying higher. I love the feeing & wish I could dream of flying more often, even though I’m usually in a crisis when I dream of flying. I feel, I’m trying to get away from the situtation. The dream never contains anything about the crisis.

July 2, 2008 at 2:49 am
(11) Pat says:

Twenty years ago, I had my first flying dream. I was in the living room with my back against the wall and when I raised my arms I felt myself lifting off. The feeling was exhilarating and I tried to do the same on awakening. If only it were not a dream but reality!

July 2, 2008 at 12:44 pm
(12) Cookie Wood says:

When I was a child I would dream of flying on a small hand pillow all over our huge backyard. It was always so much fun. These dreams would come occasionally as an adult until a few years back. I was at a friends house after a powwow and I dreamed(visioned) a colorful spot coming towards me. I watched it and the more I looked the bigger it got. Then when it was right upon me I saw that it was a huge eagle. It grabbed me by my left
eye and we soared across the most beautiful valley I’d ever seen. It was all red rock on the right and beautiful mountains on the left.
We flew and he(the eagle) showed me much of the spiritual nature of the world. Now I dream alot about flying with eagles, as a eagle. Most recently I was doing energy work on a friend at a powwow and I saw us flying with a group of eagles up above the clouds. And it continued even after I opened my eyes and reshut them. That was the most lucid vision/dream I’ve ever experienced. It was fantastic.
I believe that flying is connected to spiritually and the flying is saying that we are there, really helping the world through our unconditional love and caring.
Fly with the Eagles,
Fly with the Creator.

Peace, love, light, harmony, balance and flying joy,
Cookie

July 2, 2008 at 12:57 pm
(13) Ann says:

When I was a child I would have recurring dreams that I was flying in a car above the trees. My siblings would be with me , but I was always the driver. Looking back I wonder if I was trying to run away and protect my siblings, my father was abusive to my mother.

December 17, 2008 at 8:29 pm
(14) Jonny says:

I often have dreams in which I can fly. Usually I’ll have to use my hands to kind of push myself up into the air and there’s only so much time I can fly for before I run out of energy. I remember the last time it happened someone was trying to catch me and I don’t think I could quite get away. In fact, thinking about it, this happens quite a lot. I am flying in this way and I can only go so fast, and can’t always get as high as I want, and one or more people are trying to catch me.

When I was younger I used to have dreams that I’d run along and jump in the air to take off but wouldn’t quite take off and I’d land on the floor… it would take me a few tries – up, and then down, but eventually I’d usually take of and be flying freely. In most of my flying dreams these days I have to constantly push myself through the air.

April 23, 2009 at 3:37 pm
(15) Kim says:

I have had quite a few flying dreams. The first one was like learning how to ride a bike, I was clumsy and couldn’t control where I was going, and afraid of being too far off the ground, in succeeding dreams I became better and less fearful until the last one I had I was able to float through trees and power lines without hitting them, I am also unafraid and now look forward to the next one!

April 29, 2009 at 11:32 am
(16) Gene says:

I’d not dreamt of flying for many years until last night, or early this morning, to be more exact. As often happened in dreams of my youth I was in a room with someone else and somehow became airborne. It seems right at the time that I knew I could but he could not. I flew out an open door and upward with him looking on. He said I should sit on the peak of the roof which I did. The effort required a bit of physical exertion to climb upon it when I arrived there. Seems there was some crumbling of the building materials which fell to the ground as I climbed onto it.

May 3, 2009 at 9:25 pm
(17) didi says:

I often had been flying over rooms when I was young. They were agreeable. They stopped at one point.

Had one that scared me a bit. I was about 35 y.o. I was flying over mountains, blue sky and feeling so good… then I realized that it might be more than a dream and that I might be dying. I tried without success to move my arm to wake up my husband in order for him to wake me up… strange… I came back suddenly and was afraid of sleeping for a few days.

Yesterday (at 58 y.o.) I had another flying dream and the first one I remember since the others. It was so nice, I was flying over a room full of people who were not seeing me and I really did not really care. I noticed how I remembered how to jump and start to fly and I was like swimming in the air.

I am in a period of my life – before retirement – where I have to decide on buying a condo or not and yesterday I almost decided to go ahead and I had that dream which left me very happy and satisfied. I think I’ll go ahead with my project now.

Any comments?

July 3, 2009 at 8:29 pm
(18) Leslie Ann says:

I’ve had a dream about flying only i was swimming through the air. Its a dream that i have alot only the environment Im swimming flying in is always different. I really would love to know if anyone has any comments.

April 7, 2010 at 11:07 pm
(19) GammyX10 says:

My flying dreams all start with me already flying. I’m up high above everything and then I start to lose my altitude. I usually end up all tangled in wires no matter how hard I try to avoid them. I call these my stress dreams. In only 2 of my dreams have I not ended up tangled in wires.

June 5, 2010 at 10:25 pm
(20) DK says:

Some people soar upward I soar straight down and I hit hard, but actually it was a feeling of a fluid
downward spiral It was always dizzying in my sleep and scared the hell out of me I woke up feeling like I had hit the pavement and my life is out of sorts most of the time

September 24, 2011 at 1:39 pm
(21) Jorhizzle says:

I have dreams that I’m flying. I gradually got to that point. But sometimes I hold someone’s hand so they can fly too except I don’t go as high and I feel an enormous downward pull. What does this mean? To me it means to help others but help them fly??? Can anyone give me some advice. Thanks.

June 23, 2012 at 11:02 pm
(22) Rick says:

I have had this same dream since I can remember. I start to run and then leap up and progressively leap higher and higher untill I get too high, say 50′ then I flapp my arms to control my desent back to ground. I had this dream again last night.

March 19, 2013 at 6:56 pm
(23) Lee says:

I dream of levatating and i do this with a crowd watching. It is all mind controlled, no arm movements. I get to the roofs and float above the trees as people ooh and awe at me…I always wake up feeling great…wishing I someday could

April 29, 2013 at 8:07 pm
(24) Check out more news about meaning of dreams says:

Thanks for a marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed
reading it, you’re a great author.I will always bookmark your blog and may come back later in life. I want to encourage that you continue your great writing, have a nice day!