1. Religion & Spirituality
Phylameana lila Desy

Celebrating May Day - Beltane Activities

By April 27, 2007

Beltane, or May Day is the fertility festival marking the beginning of summer. People often decorate their neighbor's doorsteps with fresh flowers tucked inside homemade baskets, enjoy picnics with their families, and dance around a maypole to insure fertility for the coming year.

May Pole Dance Photos

Things to put in your May Baskets: fresh cut flowers or wildflower seed packets, a handwritten poem, affirmation or blessing, sweet treats (raisins, chocolate kisses, fortune cookie). Gift your May Day Baskets to folks in need of physical healing, emotional support, or spiritual uplifting.

Share your comments: What are your ideas for items to put in May baskets?
Comments
April 24, 2006 at 3:25 pm
(1) Ann says:

animal crackers

April 26, 2006 at 11:26 am
(2) Gina says:

I love your idea about what you would put into a “May” basket. I would put in fresh fruits and vegies, special treats for my dog (Worf), a love note from my husband, affirmations about achieving my goals, things that would make me laugh, reminders of my good friends, and then IF I could I’d put a ticket in there for Marcia Wieder’s dream give away to Maui in Feb, 2007!!
Last summer I attended a conference in LA for “Women In Technology” (WITI). While there, I had the awesome opportunity to meet Marcia Wieder.

She and I spoke about overcoming fears to achieve our dreams. Although my time with her was brief, I learned from “America’s Dream Coach” about
the importance of stepping out of my comfort zone, setting goals, and
taking action. At that time I really did not know who this precious
woman was but later learned she had been on Oprah and PBS-TV.

Marcia’s brief touch on my life made a great impact on me. Recently I
discovered her site at http://www.mauidreamretreat.com/ and the Maui Dream Retreat she is giving away!!! This is the trip I would love to be about to put in my “May” basket.

I thought you and your readers might also be interested.

Thank you again for sharing!

May your day be filled richly with blessings and joy,

Gina

May 1, 2006 at 3:18 pm
(3) Mary Wilkinson says:

Hi I live in Engalnd Hastings East sussex we have just celebrated the day with Jack in The Green and about 50.000 bikes that come to our seaside town it has been a great day the sun shone after a very miserable start everyone had fun hope everyone in America had a good day. Mary

May 1, 2006 at 4:48 pm
(4) Daryl says:

When I was a child (over 50 years ago) my sister used to make paper baskets and fill them with paper flowers and whatever was up out of the ground at that time. She would hang them on the doorknobs of all the houses in our neighborhood. Many of the elderly came to our house to thank my sister for the joy the flowers gave them.

May 1, 2006 at 4:52 pm
(5) Phylameana says:

Mary, your May Day sounds delightful! On Memorial Day Weekend our city hosts Snake Alley Criterium. The cyclists peddle up Snake Alley – The Crookedest Street in the World. It is great fun! But often rains that weekend too.

May 3, 2006 at 4:58 am
(6) Auriam says:

Every year we at Silver Circle (pagan student group here at PSU – http://www.clubs.psu.edu/silverc) have a Beltaine camping trip retreat for a weekend at a local state park… we have a little ritual marking the holiday, do some crafts and hiking and swimming, and have a bunch of campfire cookouts. It’s a lot of fun. Getting out into nature for the holidays is a lot more fun than staying cooped up indoors, especially in the spring! (And actually, in the Southern Hemisphere, some neopagans will celebrate Beltaine – and all the main season-based holidays – 6 months out of sync – so Beltaine would be at the beginng of November 1st).

May 3, 2006 at 10:18 pm
(7) Erin says:

Some people celebrate Beltaine by building bonfires on the eve of the day. At the end of the evening, or close to daybreak, they seek the god to their goddess (or vice versa). The union symbolizes the meeting of the two spiritual entities (the celestial male and celestial female) and a flowing circuit of energy is created between the two that transcends the physical realm. It is a powerful and spiritual union. The true meaning of Beltaine has nearly been eradicated by the dominant puritanical society of the time.

March 31, 2011 at 3:22 am